What to do about my unhappy Maxima?

TulsaReefer

I bought a new Maxima last weekend, and broke all my own rules, it was in a tank that had a fish pestering it and it looked stressed by I bought it anyway (duh). The seller said it had been doing great until a fish started to pick on it very recently and assured me that once it was out of that tank it would do fine. I've been in this hobby long enough to know I was an idiot to both believe that, as well as buy a stressed animal, but we all have our days when we throw out better judgment out and let a "good deal" get the best of you.

So it's now been in my 200g tank since last Saturday, and doesn't seem to be getting any better. Tank has what I consider great params: Ammonia and Nitrite at 0, Nitrate low enough I can't read it on a low range Salifert test, Ca 440, Alk 11 dKh, temp 77 and stable, Salinity 35ppt. Corals and fish are all doing great. Lighting is 3 Kessil A360w running at a peak of 65% intensity, one almost directly over the clam which is about 12" under the surface with the light about 10" of the surface. I'm not using GFO or anything right now other than carbon.

But the clam is not opening as it should and I fear the stress brought on pinched mantle, but I'm not sure of that and if I should attempt a fresh water bath to treat it.

Opinions and options of where to go from here?

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=13004B79944E6E78&resid=13004B79944E6E78%2167887&authkey=AEv83s40YfaVlJs" width="240" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

If it's pinched mantle it's inflicted by infection rather than stress. Did you QT the clam? try FW dip?

No snails I could find on it, and it's in a relatively low flow area of my tank where there is flow. As for QT, it didn't hit a QT tank as I don't have one set up for clams, and it's the only clam I have, so if it brought anything clam related with it then it would be the only clam to have it. I'll probably just give it a few more days and see if it's better or worst and go from there.

Any feelings of reef plankton? I would try to entice it with some nutrition, but agree that a stress free environment with good flow and lighting are key.

Back