What to put under new stand?

Sprockett

I don't have pictures just yet (the shop is a bit too messy right now) but my 180g stand is ready for the tank this weekend, I'll post some photo's tomorrow when I get a chance.

But one thing I've not solved is that the stand will be placed on a hardwood floor, the bottom is very flat but probably not perfectly so. I don't want to scratch up or mar the wood floors as much as I can help it and I want to distribute the load across the whole bottom of the stand.

So does anyone have any suggestions?, I would use felt but with saltwater it's not a good combo, possibly a thin piece of foam to compress and take the weight of the load. I really don't want to put feet on it because then those points will carry the whole weight of the stand so I'm not sure how to solve this problem just yet and am just looking for ideas....

Thanks

-Paul-

^^I did the same thing with my tank; much smaller system but i also have it setting on hardwood floors; I found an area rug that pretty much matched the footprint of my stand and went from there it only sticks out a couple of inches but it is nice to have when you drip a little water

Carpet's not a bad idea, I was looking for something that would not soak in water because spills will happen and once it wicks under the stand it will stagnate there. I may go down to the building center tonight and see what they that I can use, maybe a closed cell foam. It would not have to be thick, just enough to cushion the stand and even things out and not mar the floor...

I'll post some pics tonight of the stand, the sides are all one and I just have to attach the top this evening...

Cheers

rubber style mats that are available at lowes by the foot,
they are made for people to stand on

how about the foam underlayment used for placing under wood laminate flooring?You could place 2 or more layers under the stand,if needed.HTH

Would second 45Commando's comment. I used the floor underlayment to put under my sump. You could then cut around it. Only issue you may face is getting some wide enough to cover the tank area....or lay it out as two strips next to each other. You can also double it to handle some of the imperfections you mention. I think I got a roll of it at Home Depot for twenty or thirty bucks

I don't like anything that can hold water, especially on a hard wood floors.

I used the Teflon sliders you put under heavy furniture under mine. This leaves a small air gap so spills dry easily, and I could move the stand around with the tank on it (empty) to its final place.

The foam idea is great, that's what I'm going with, it will compress and prevent the floor from getting damaged and will not hold onto water. I'm finishing the top this morning and I'll take some pics and post them to give everyone an idea of how it's turning out. The only thing really left to do is to coat the inside with epoxy to make it watertight, then I can start working on the making it pretty part :)

Thanks

-Paul-

OK here are some pics of the stand, it's 6ft long, 2ft deep and about 3ft high. I say about because the foam will raise it a little bit, I'm just about ready for the tank as soon as the owner has some free time for me to drop by and pick it up.

The brown wood in the back is two sided MDO, I chose it because it's naturally waterproof (they use it for making signs) and I use a good deal of it in the shop for jigs, the entire inside will be getting a coat of epoxy and the bottom is sealed so it's watertight. The long span is a little under 4ft, the top pieces are 2x6's (a little less) and all the major beams are laminates with OSB in the middle, it's not as heavy as it looks but it's absolutely rock solid. Every joint and connection is epoxied not only for strength but also so that water could not wick in.

It will be getting a cabinet face once I get the plumbing figured out....

DSCF0496.jpg

DSCF0497.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

DSCF0495.jpg

Cheers

-Paul-

Back