What would you stock?

C.Sharkdude

So I fired my Mono's today.

One of them has been particularly nasty to the other as of late...not a big deal as I have 2 more waiting to go in. Well today I found my Bi-Color Blenny on is side dying from stress. I put him in the QT, he died 20 minuets later. At this point I'm not happy with my Mono's.

So I put them in my 75 brackish with the 2 younger ones and decided to keep them there...permanently.

Now I would like yous guys help in replacing them. Here is what I have in there and whats going in.

4x Adult Colombian sharks
1x juvie Banded Sleeper Goby
1x Maldives Lyretail Anthias
1x Peppermint Shrimp
LOTS of snails(mix)
bunch of corals, mostly LPS

In QT:
young Antennata Lionfish
young tomini tang

The QT'd fish will be out in a week. I'd like suggestions for something that will add to the "uniqueness" of the stock. I would prefer something that gets like 8'' max or under.

What about Angels such as Bellus Angelfish or Lamarck's Angelfish?

Last edited:
I am curious are you running a brackish system or a marine system? What is your specific gravity? If you are running below 1.020, I do not think that marine fish will do well long term.

Anyway, you will probably have better luck getting an answer on those angelfish if you try the reef fish section as these are typically considered reef safe. I believe that these require a fair amount of micro fauna that thrive in LR to do well and I do not believe you specify how much is in your system.

And an aside, that lionfish is going to eat your peppermint shrimp and the goby at some point, and I would be concerned that it might lethally sting your sharks.

I have a brackish, marine and two freshwater tanks.

I fully understand the lion will eventually eat the shrimp, I'm okay with that. But how does an eventual 6" goby get eaten by an eventual 7" lion?

My sharks also possess singers as they are catfish and have never used them, I have had all of them since they where 2" over two years ago. I've had lions in the past and my sharks did perfectly fine with them as they both share the "chill" characteristic. They give each other space and stay out of the others way.

How long does it typically take to develop the necessary micro fauna to sustain one of these angels?

Thanks for the info. I've been doing some reading on them lately. I've also been told the Bellus are deepwater and don't do that great in captivity so I'll skip them.

As for the Lamaracks, I've read a minimum of 75, 100, 125 and so on. According to this site a single could be kept in 70+.

LaMarck are the hardiest of the swallowtail angels, IMO, and have a subtle beauty. I had one for many years in a 4 foot tank and it seemed fine. Mine was more of a picker than a sprinter, and seemed to do very well. I'd recommend a single LaMarck angel, as long as someone else with LaMarck experience confirms my opinion that your tank length is okay. Also, be sure you have a lot of live rock for picking and cover. A coral beauty or flame angel instead would also pop in that tank. Other beauties you might consider are the grey poma or blue spotted angel.

I forgot you have corals - the LaMarck is pretty reef safe, but the other angels have risk of picking at them.

I'm having one of my lfs get these two angels for me in two weeks so the qt will be ready. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best types of foods to feed these angles? I mainly feed NLS Thera+A but I also have JS green algea, API algae wafers, various frozen treats such as mysis, spirulina brine shrimp, krill, and I have some IO gelled krill.

LaMarck's angel is a kind of swallowtail angel (as is Bellus angel). Your food selections sounds good.

Back