What you need to know about copper and coral

I just heard back from Seachem regarding Cuprisorb. Here's what they say about it:
"Unlike many competing filter medias, like the polyfilters, Cuprisorb is designed to remove any copper present. As long as the product is not exhausted, it should continue to remove copper, including trace levels. This makes it a great product for removing copper after medication or in the case of high concentrations in source water. However, if it were to be left in the system permanently to keep these levels under control, it would be a good idea to add a trace element package to ensure that the habitants had some trace levels of copper available. While copper is toxic to many marine organisms at high levels, it is essential for all organisms and should be maintained at trace levels. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. "

Product Support

All these information are very interesting, but do You really think Cu could be a problem in our aquaria? Except cases when there is some unwanted piece of copper in our tanks poisoning our water...

many aquarists regularly add CuSO4 using various commercial products to reduce zooxanthellae without any issues (i.e. zeospur KZ, nuance equo).
I know aquarists have been doing this since years without loosing any animal...
I think regular water change ad constant use of GAC is a need in this case.

In the last times I read something about metal binding to organic in marine water and the informations You provided confirms why these products must be added in one shot (I mean not dividing in many administrations), not repeat before 15-20 days, and the lower are inorganics (and i guess organics too), the lower is the needed dose of product. If inorganics are too high, there is substantially not enough dose to make effect...

On the basis of this last affirmation, I think Cu could eventually be more problematic in ULNW tanks.

The scientific studies are overwhelming regarding the detrimental effects copper can have at very low levels. Is this possible in a reef tank? IMHO, yes depending on the unmeasurable levels of copper input and the total amount of unmeasurable dissolved organic matter in reef tank water as well as the coral specie types and their types of symbionts present. ;)

When Randy tested his tank, his copper came out to around 13 -15 ppb copper.

Differential effects of copper on three species of scleractinian corals and their algal symbionts (Symbiodinium spp.). (2010)

Bielmyer GK, Grosell M, Bhagooli R, Baker AC, Langdon C, Gillette P, Capo TR.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20089320

Abstract

"Land-based sources of pollution have been identified as significant stressors linked to the widespread declines of coral cover in coastal reef ecosystems over the last 30 years. Metal contaminants, although noted as a concern, have not been closely monitored in these sensitive ecosystems, nor have their potential impacts on coral-algal symbioses been characterized. In this study, three species of laboratory-reared scleractinian corals, Acropora cervicornis, Pocillopora damicornis, and Montastraea faveolata each containing different algal symbionts (Symbiodinium A3, C1 and D1a, respectively) were exposed to copper (ranging from 2 to 20microg/L) for 5 weeks. At the end of the exposure period, copper had accumulated in the endosymbiotic dinoflagellate ("zooxanthellae") and animal tissue of A. cervicornis and the animal tissue of M. faveolata; however, no copper accumulation was detected in the zooxanthellae or animal tissue of P. damicornis. The three coral species exhibited significantly different sensitivities to copper, with effects occurring in A. cervicornis and P. damicornis at copper concentrations as low as 4 microg/L. Copper exposure affected zooxanthellae photosynthesis in A. cervicornis and P. damicornis, and carbonic anhydrase was significantly decreased in A. cervicornis and M. faveolata. Likewise, significant decreases in skeletal growth were observed in A. cervicornis and P. damicornis after copper exposure. Based on preliminary results, no changes in Symbiodinium communities were apparent in response to increasing copper concentration. These results indicate that the relationships between physiological/toxicological endpoints and copper accumulation between coral species differ, suggesting different mechanisms of toxicity and/or susceptibility. This may be driven, in part, by differences in the algal symbiont communities of the coral species in question."

Last edited:
There are many cases where hobbyists state that they are experiencing coral tissue necrosis. The reasons for this are blamed on many possibilities and rightfully so, since there are many things that will cause tissue necrosis in coral. Certainly higher levels of copper can't be discounted in these cases. ;)

The same applies when hobbyists have problems with coral that have lost their color. :)

It is pretty much impossible for hobbyists to discern these types of problems in a reef tank for sure.

FWIW, EPA in 2003 established the safe copper level in and around reefs as 3 ppb. I think many of our tanks may have higher levels of copper. ;)

I'm not quite sure where the common recommendation for the copper level in reef tanks is stated as less than 30 ppb.

Did the point of view change that if it is not bioavailable it is not a problem? :)

I just read the complete article above. The tests were completed using inorganic copper as CuCl2. As far as I know, the organic copper is not very toxic.

The studies do show that if the inorganic copper is high enough even for short periods of time, damages occur & show up within hrs in coral.

The question is what are the highest inorganic copper levels in one's reef tank and do they reach toxic levels?

Good point Habib. ;)

Last edited:
Habib,

I know you did quite a bit of research to write your article:

Feature Article: Toxicity Of Trace Elements: Truth Or Myth?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/5/aafeature

What is the break-down between inorganic and organic copper on average say in the ocean. Something comes to me that it is in the area of 90-98% organic copper?

Perhaps that's where they get the recommendation of 30 ppb copper as total copper. :lol:

Last edited:
The book I just read states that the organic fraction of copper in the ocean (mostly bound with ligands) is between 89%-99%. If you use say 90% to be on the safe side, this would mean total copper levels above 30 ppb total copper (3 ppb inorganic copper) could be a problem from the way I understand it. From the study completed in the past in reef tanks, they did find hobbyists with higher levels than 30 ppb total copper in their tanks (up to 80 ppb IIRC). This agrees with some results posted by hobbyists who had levels in the 40-50 ppb total copper range (if we can depend on AWT's results). :)

With hobbyist now commonly dosing copper (inorganic) along with that introduced in a reef tank though supplements (inorganic copper), food, salt mixes (inorganic)....etc, I would assume that inorganic copper could be a problem for some hobbyists. ;)

So then would it be a good idea to run a Poly Filter regularly? So insure that this is never a problem? Is testing for copper and negative results enough to ensure safety?

I am not sure that using a Polyfilter or running Cuprisorb would grab up inorganic copper fast enough in a reef tank should a hobbyist unknowingly increase inorganic copper say by adding too much mag supplement at one time. The time period from scientific research states it only takes hours for damages to occur. I think perhaps prevention is the best policy. I suspect that running GAC on a regular basis will help lower total copper levels effectively.

Certainly, if you suspect that copper is a problem, then running a product to lower copper levels can be helpful.

I personally question the use of inorganic copper as a supplement to reduce coral symbionts for enhancing colors. I believe this is pushing a very fine line and is risky. ;)

It would be nice to know what one's tank total copper level is to make sure the tank is being run properly. This can only be accomplished by sending samples off to a proper seawater lab. This may be more cost effective than running a copper absorbing product 24/7, along with taking the proper precautions. I believe ENC Labs charges around $65.00 to run a copper test. :)

Last edited:
I too am not a fan of that idea, but it might be an appropriate choice for some folks to make depending on their husbandry philosophy. It may make pastel corals that some folks like, but I question whether it is a good idea for all the other microlife in the tank. It is highly unlikely that zoox are the only sensitive organisms that are partly killed by the additives. I guess it all depends on whether you want a semi-natural ecosystem, or a support system designed specifically to maintain an unusual color form of certain corals.

Last edited:
One thing I found troubling from reading through all the articles I have regarding copper levels and its toxicity, is that one needs to be very careful regarding analyzing the research. Many articles simply state copper and do not define which specie of copper. Some define copper in the article but not in the summary. Some quote one article referring to inorganic copper (Cu++) levels and then turn around and quote another article referring to total copper, yet do not state this. :lol:

The worst one was an EPA report which never defined copper species they were talking about and cited both total copper and Cu++ studies without mentioning this fact. :(

Last edited:
I have never dosed copper intetionaly., so I don't know if it would create designer corals or not. Color in my corals without it is quite good to my eye though.

Habib,

I know you did quite a bit of research to write your article:

Feature Article: Toxicity Of Trace Elements: Truth Or Myth?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/5/aafeature

What is the break-down between inorganic and organic copper on average say in the ocean. Something comes to me that it is in the area of 90-98% organic copper?

Perhaps that's where they get the recommendation of 30 ppb copper as total copper. :lol:

LOL on the last part! :lolspin:

Most of the heavy metals are bound to ligands.

More reading in post # 17 of

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103295&highlight=siderophore

And there is another ancient mega (mega size and mega headache) thread.

On a related note, I keep frags and mini colonies of many of the sps , in a variety of lighting conditions , varying wattage and k ratings, with and without actinic supplementation and with and without led supplemenation . The variation in color that occurs is significant to a point where one could easily doubt it was the same coral by looking at it . Perhaps much of the color claim associated with dosing metals relates to enhaced water clarity and consequent lighting enhancements resulting from other elements of these systems geared to bacterial growth and nutrirent reduction . Reorganized organics , PO4 reduction ,NO3 reduction and feeding make a difference too, imo.

Back