What's a good multipurpose lens for the T2i?

ninja_fish

I just got a Cannon T2i and I'm looking for a good multipurpose lens to shoot family photos, indoors and out.

Gotta cover the family before I get the macro lens.

i'm assuming you don't have the kit lense? the one i got with the camera seems fine for that sort of thing (18-55mm

Yes, I do have that one. I just figured it was the most basic and there would others that were a little better and more versatile.

The EF-S 17-85 would give you a little more range and it gets pretty good ratings. Whatever you do, don't buy the 28-135.

I have the EFS 17-55 and LOVE it. Works great in low light, it's quiet, focuses fast. The only negative people have with it is that it costs more than some Canon bodies :)

What's your price range? I think the sharpest of the bunch is the 17-55 IS, but my brother has the 15-85 and thats is a pretty damn sharp lens as well which a great range.

i have a d5000 with a 18-55 and a 55-200. i used to use the 55-200 but now seem to be using the 18-55 more often. i love the wide angle shots now. when u got 15 megapixels u can crop like hell. ive gotten some pretty decent aquarium pics wit the lens too.

the kit lens should be great for family shots. if ur gonna be shooting sporting events , or indoor without a flash i would go with a faster lens. something around f1.8, but if its gonna be basic portraits and family photos the 18-55 should be nice.

Not sure what your looking for but for a couple hundred bucks you can pick up a Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 (which I own). Bother will give you better IQ than your kit lense and let you shoot in much lower light than the kit lense. If by multipurpous you mean wide wide angle and telephoto, I actually like my 28-135 :p although I admit I don't use it much ;) . To be honest I have not read any reviews or anything on it but I remember seeing Tamron coming out with a 12-270 VC. Wonder if it is any good :confused:

Back