Whats this on my CBB?

TomRep

Can anyone identify this thing? It was NOT on the fish when I got him. i looked him over really well in the bag and saw no flaws with him. I noticed this about 2 days after he was in the tank. it started off looking like some gra fuzzy thing, almost like a piece of mysis was stuck on him. now, however, it appears to be a hard object, like a shell forming or something. the fish is acting fine, it doesn't seem to bother it. the only time it does seem to bother it is when my shrimp hops on him to try and clean it off him. Fish is also eating well. thanks ahead of time for any ideas.
tom
DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Outstanding macro-photographs, please share details on camera, lens, and settings if possible.

Back to the subject, appears Lymphocystivirus. Lymphocystis often comes across when fish are stressed, such as when put into a new environment. If so, nothing you can do but let it take it's course and stay on top of water conditions. Be aware this could take months.

If viral growth physically interferes with body functions (eating or breathing) surgical removal of nodular lesions might be necessary. Good luck with fish, hopefully it will recover fine.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14769402#post14769402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mentat
Outstanding macro-photographs, please share details on camera, lens, and settings if possible.

+1. pictures look great!

+1 to the Lympho. It usually goes away without needing to be treated, you just need to make sure you keep the fish eating and the water at high quality. IME, it can take a few days to a couple of weeks to dissappear.

thanks to everyone who responded! The water is top notch and always is and the fish is eating great, so hopefully it will disappear on it's own. Actually, I just went in and checked the fish and it is gone now! Do I have to watch for anthing else now? Like can it come back? I didn't do any kind of searching yet, so I don't know if it was an animal/parasite or a viral/fungus typw thing. By the way, camera used was a Nikon D40 on the macro setting with no flash, standard "kit" lens that came with it.
tom

Back