When can I add a sandsifting goby??

fish 511

Ok, so first some background so you don't think I'm crazy. I set up my tank in early January and had it finish cycling. Right now I have in it a percula clown and a yellow tang. So I originally had a crushed soral substrate but changed it to a LSB that is about 2 inches on saturday. So my question is, when can I add a sandsifting goby??? I ask this because my sand is new and I know those guys eat stuff in the sand... Thanks for any input!

BTW, happy valentines day!!:love2: ?

I would give it a few months. Be ready for a sand storm when you add it. My tank was cloudy for a month or more after adding my Diamond goby.

really? Ok... I guess its cloudy from the stuff the guy kicks up??? Will that affect any of my fish? Also, its a fo tank right now but I may get corals, could this sand storm affect corals??

I bought a Diamond Goby and he won't sift sand for anything he just sits on the sand and protects my pistol shrimp and waits for feeding time. I have yet to see him take one bite of sand. It is a good and bad thing I guess don't have to worry about him depleting the sand bed but he isn't doing what I expected. Kind of off topic but thought I would share.

I would think that sand sifting gobies in general need sand fine enough to filter through their gills. The finer the better and IMHO I think crushed coral is too big. Oolitic sand would probably be better.

I only have experience so far with hectors and rainfords...and their mouths are a lot smaller than the diamonds. If the fish can shovel in a lot of sand it's probably looking for a lot of food, no?

FWIW I haven't seen a plump diamond goby at any of the LFSs I frequent...not even the ones housed in large reef setups with sand for it/them to sift through.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9246098#post9246098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scottwhitson
I bought a Diamond Goby and he won't sift sand for anything he just sits on the sand and protects my pistol shrimp and waits for feeding time. I have yet to see him take one bite of sand. It is a good and bad thing I guess don't have to worry about him depleting the sand bed but he isn't doing what I expected. Kind of off topic but thought I would share.

Does it have orange or pink spots?

I put a sandsifting goby (DIamond watchman) in my tank once -came home that afternoon-my tank was a disaster-nothing but one huge cloud of sand-all over my corals my rocks ect. If ya have flow like you should have in a reef tank-be prepared for a mess- TOOK MINE OUT!!! after 5 hours of cleaning everything off and getting water clear again-now he stays in my QT tank alone:uzi:

Yeah, just got a diamond goby and the first day, he clouded up my tank. But now it's not that bad. He's definitely a jumper though and has already jumped out of my tank once. Even though I really like him, I'm going to try and catch him and take him back for his own sake but it's really hard to catch the guy so I might have to buy some eggcrate to put over the tank.

I just got a tiger goby, and he eats brine shrimp and mysis, so I'm not too worried about him finding enough in the sand (although there's quite a bit in there for him). Mine has been in the overflow twice, so it's definitely a good idea to cover any holes your could get out of.

I read somewhere that gobies often have intestinal worms, which can cause them to look skinny (and possibly kill them in the long term).

Back