Where did everyone go?

sinful

It's been awhile since I've been active on this site, this place used to be extremely active. Did everyone just get out of the hobby or is there somewhere else they're active on?

Honestly I know a lot of people still in the hobby just not posting anymore. Used to see a lot of activity on Face book but even there not much anymore..

Maybe we all learned that getting advice from anonymous people on the internet is a bad idea :)

I think people got angry at some point because of site issues and it slowly died. I think most people went to Facebook, which I honestly hate, but I guess I am alone there. I still come here every now and then to see if anyone posted anything. I miss the good old days.

I prefer Reef Central over all other sites. Easy to navigate and it is nice to have a local tab that was Tampa Bay Surrounding Area.

My 150 is still going through the new tank syndrome.

Ordered a pair of Maxspect 350's this morning from BRS. Looking forward to using them.

Any one want to buy a healthy Purple Tang? LOL

I prefer Reef Central over all other sites. Easy to navigate and it is nice to have a local tab that was Tampa Bay Surrounding Area.

My 150 is still going through the new tank syndrome.

Ordered a pair of Maxspect 350's this morning from BRS. Looking forward to using them.

Any one want to buy a healthy Purple Tang? LOL

I hate the new tank syndrome ! My 120 is going thru the same, frinkin brown on the sand ect..

I think Facebook and the other reef 2... site really fragmented the group. I personally have not found much of anything useful in the FB groups. Mostly vendor shilling and when there is a question, 10 minutes later it is buried somewhere else making a "thread discussion" almost impossible. Forums like this just work and are a good fit for our needs. Facebook is just popular but makes for hard to follow discussions.

I miss the old RC days as well when there was more discussion and help getting things fixed or setup.

I agree 100%. I asked 1 question in FB once and shared some findings. I'm sure most people didn't even see it because it got buried under 100 posts about insignificant crap. I also see the same questions coming up on FB over and over, because people can't get search for stuff or see stick posts with important information like we used to have here.

I too miss the old days, but I guess we will just have to live with the smaller crowd here and hope people realize it and start coming back here more often.

I think Facebook and the other reef 2... site really fragmented the group. I personally have not found much of anything useful in the FB groups. Mostly vendor shilling and when there is a question, 10 minutes later it is buried somewhere else making a "thread discussion" almost impossible. Forums like this just work and are a good fit for our needs. Facebook is just popular but makes for hard to follow discussions.

I miss the old RC days as well when there was more discussion and help getting things fixed or setup.

Still here, My tank has been on autopilot for a few years but looking to change things around soon. I will not do Facebook and this local forum as always been helpful.

Well, I think I'm finally getting a tank for the house next week. Be seeing me here a little more often.

I too don't care for the facebook thing.

Le Revolucion begins!!! Let's get the anti-facebook gang rolling with blackjack and hookers, er, I mean fishtank conversations like the old days. I too finally have the room to put in a nice tank. Once i get the existing tanks in and stable and some projects done, the plans will begin for a nice upgrade.

Keep us posted GrouperGenius been a long time since I have seen some of the members in the thread. Good to know I'm not the only who still can't break the addiction!

I think alot of people went to facebook as well, because the posting of pictures became so difficult when photobucket stopped letting you post your own and old ones vanished as well

Last edited:
Hey Guys/Gals! Just moved to the Tampa area last year from Chicago area and looking to start my next project as well.

Last tank was a 60G cube. I'm done with cubes. Not enough space to work under the thank and I hated how deep it was. I think I'm going back to the traditional rectangle tank. Lots of room for fish to swim side to side instead of up and down :)

Probably look for a nice size between 80G and 110G.

Can anyone recommend a few tank companies that use clear glass like starfire etc. (not the green standard glass on "All Alass" aquariums), without being too deep or wide? I'd rather have a longer tank (like 48" +) versus deeper height and width {Waterbox Reef 100.3 for example 36" length and 24" wide = short/bulky/deeper tank}?

I'd prefer a company that offers both tank and matching stand as I'm not interested in fabricating my own stand..

Also haven't really ventured out too much in the area with Covid and wondering if there are any good local fish/reef stores that might have better prices on tank/stand combos versus ordering everything online?

Last edited:
I haven't been on here for 2 years!
And I see there is not much activity.
I'm in the process of setting up a
220 Water box. I'll be checking in for
Some SPS in the next few months!

Welcome Back Nelly. Keep us updated on the 220. And plenty of us have SPS when the tank is stable and ready.

Where did everyone go?

Hey Guys/Gals! Just moved to the Tampa area last year from Chicago area and looking to start my next project as well.

Last tank was a 60G cube. I'm done with cubes. Not enough space to work under the thank and I hated how deep it was. I think I'm going back to the traditional rectangle tank. Lots of room for fish to swim side to side instead of up and down :)

Probably look for a nice size between 80G and 110G.

Can anyone recommend a few tank companies that use clear glass like starfire etc. (not the green standard glass on "All Alass" aquariums), without being too deep or wide? I'd rather have a longer tank (like 48" +) versus deeper height and width {Waterbox Reef 100.3 for example 36" length and 24" wide = short/bulky/deeper tank}?

I'd prefer a company that offers both tank and matching stand as I'm not interested in fabricating my own stand..

Also haven't really ventured out too much in the area with Covid and wondering if there are any good local fish/reef stores that might have better prices on tank/stand combos versus ordering everything online?

Reef Savvy is now local to our area. One of the top tank builders in the nation. Also Waterbox is also located somewhere in Florida I believe. Also if you're looking for a good deal check out Coral Baragin Warehouse in Lakeland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

Back