Where to buy ethical biodiversity

CMJones

Ok, this was the closest subject i could find to ask what i'm looking for... i'm not really sure where i should post this... Basically, what i'm looking for is live rock that has FULL biodiversity and not "cure" "precured" "cultured" ect... I want the good, the bad and the ugly... Basically, i want rock that might as well have been taken from the ocean, bagged in water and brought to me with EVERYTHING included in it. However, that wouldn't be feasible, nor responsible... So, what is the best shop that does as close to this as legally, ethically and practically as possible?

I haven't personally seen this live rock in person but have you seen the rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. A lot of members on this forum rave about how amazing it is and from the pictures I've seen of all the life that comes on it, I'd be sold.

What you are asking for is available either from Richard at TBS or KP Aquatics. They pluck it from the ocean and overnight it so it is "Liverock". Everything else you buy is mostly dead rock.

Sorry for late reply. Been a really bad week and a lots happened... Unexpectedly lost a family member last night as well.

Florida Live Rock i've seen and heard about, but still closely aquacultured. Which isn't bad, but doesn't add as much diversity and chance of extremely interesting things. Which, lets face it, is a lot about what this hobby is awesome for. Will definitely check out Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay Live Rock is exactly what you want. I used them for my build.

Go to the sponsor section and read a view threads. They have the best live rock with the most bio diversity available. Make sure to order the package to get live rock, live sand, critters, sponges, and much more. He ships the rock submerged in water so the shipping is not cheap but it is well worth it. They ship to your local airport and you will have to pick it up from the airport.

Yeah, i saw that. I would probably just do a bit of the live rock itself. Already have an established system and all with CUC and sand. Just wanting to add a bit of diversity. have a quarantine i would use it in first to get any bad hitchhikers out before adding to the display

Most of what you get is going to die. You might wish that most of the rest died - depending on what you get. Unless your quarantine is years, there is no way to know what tiny organism might survive and grow like crazy. You can get some cool and some bad.

The best way to get diversity is the rock on which wild corals come attached. Order some wild mushrooms, polyps, etc. on rock and it will be packed in water and keep in reef conditions from day one.

from what i'm seeing, that's exactly what Tampa Bay Live Rock is... and i won't do years, but a few weeks shouldn't be a problem in quarantine... that's what i'm liking about Tampa bay, is apparently, not much will die... They actually package theirs in actual sea water. Most, like Florida Live Rock ect, are just wrapped in wet newspaper... which stuff dies and is bad... apparently with Tampa Bay Live rock, they actually transport in bags of water, which is what i'm looking for... cause THAT is how you get actual live diversity. I'll be sure to quarantine for about 10 weeks though to check for aiptasia, majano, crabs, leaching crustaceans and keep all velvet / ich dead since it's actual ocean water. They apparently keep their live rock so well submerged ect... some of their customers have actually got FISH from their live rock... Small blenny / goby and wrasses and the such that were hiding in it...

from what i'm seeing, that's exactly what Tampa Bay Live Rock is... and i won't do years, but a few weeks shouldn't be a problem in quarantine... that's what i'm liking about Tampa bay, is apparently, not much will die... They actually package theirs in actual sea water. Most, like Florida Live Rock ect, are just wrapped in wet newspaper... which stuff dies and is bad... apparently with Tampa Bay Live rock, they actually transport in bags of water, which is what i'm looking for... cause THAT is how you get actual live diversity. I'll be sure to quarantine for about 10 weeks though to check for aiptasia, majano, crabs, leaching crustaceans and keep all velvet / ich dead since it's actual ocean water. They apparently keep their live rock so well submerged ect... some of their customers have actually got FISH from their live rock... Small blenny / goby and wrasses and the such that were hiding in it...
Something Richard from TBS brags about is how the waters around Tampa are free of naturally-occurring Aiptasia and Majano. The conditions re: temp, etc. are still good for the life on the rock to hang around, but pest nems are not native to those waters.

Can't say if it's true or not. There's also GARF Grunge from GARF.org which gets you "the best strains" of good bacteria, sponges, inverts, and all the little goodies. I dunno how good it is, but they've been selling it for over a decade. It was highly recommended when I started a tank 8 years ago, so it's certainly not an untested product. HTH.

never heard of GARF, so will check that out too... so far, from Videos on You-Tube and such. TBS looks like my best bet... They even pack in bags of water so, EVERYTHING stays alive which is what i'm looking for. Pretty interesting and like the best deal... be several months before i have enough money to spare on it... things in my life have gotten... hectic to say the least. Hell, i'm hoping i can keep my reef going through this... already posted for sale, but no one took any bites.

If you want a great looking tank and add corals right away fly in rock from Florida. This tank is only three months old and it looked like this from the start

I haven't personally seen this live rock in person but have you seen the rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. A lot of members on this forum rave about how amazing it is and from the pictures I've seen of all the life that comes on it, I'd be sold.

I received my first TBS rock order yesterday and was blown away. I was thoroughly impressed by the quantity, quality, and variety of life on the rock. It greatly exceeded my expectations.

Most of my rocks were entirely covered in beautiful sponges, barnacles, and tunicates with tons of crab, shrimp, and snails. These are just the organisms I've noticed in the first 24 hours too, I'm sure there's a few more surprises.

I will add my 2 cents. I have Tampa Bay Saltwater rock from Richard and couldn't be happier. The bio-diversity is incredible. From mini-brittles, to various types of crabs and snails, to microscopic copepods. This rock has tons of life. And yes, I had 4 different fish hitchhike in with the rock, including a pearlfish. They spend most of their time up a sea cucumber's butt. Google it. Most of the sponge on the rock will die off as well as the barnacles, but plenty of other critters are hanging in there. There was a number of undesirable hitchhikers(gorilla crabs, cerillid(sp) isopods, mantis shrimp, and whelks), but the rock was still worth it. Also, since switching over to this rock and live sand, my tank has never looked better. Tank seems so much healthier with all the bio-diversity.

Back