Which Fish to Add First??

anpetey

Hello!
So I have a 55gallon that has been up and running for a few months now, and I now finished compiling my fish stocking list. But now my dilema is which fish to add first? My choices are either the Tail spot Blenny, Coral Beauty, or a trio of Resplendent Anthias. (My complete future stocking list is: 3 Resplendent Anthias, 1 Tail spot Blenny, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Green Manderin Dragonett (in the far future), and possibly 1 Black and White Clown)

I am leaning toward adding the anthias first mainly because I only have a 8 gallon tank as a QT and I didn't think that would be big enough for three anthias to live in for a few weeks, I figured since the only thing in my display tank is a CUC, I could "quarantine" all three anthias in the display tank for a couple months before adding any more fish (any other fish would come from the quarantine tank first). Then if anything happened I could treat any fish separately in the quarantine tank. Also It would be very hard to keep the water quality of the QT high with that many fish in small confines. My only concern is will the anthias become to aggressive to any other tank mates if added first? I have been doing some research and the Resplendent anthias seem to be the least aggressive and also one of the smaller anthias, which is my reason for choosing them. I also would prefer to add the anthias at the same time to avoid any issues with aggression or gender changing.So is adding/quarantining the three anthias first in the display tank a plausible idea, or does someone have a better idea? Like I said before, the only other inhabitants of the tank are snails and hermits.

So let me know what you think!

I've never owned that particular species of anthias, but I can't imagine them being aggressive to a blenny or angel. My anthias ignore everyone but their own kind.

The problem I see with Qt'ing in the display tank, is medicating. Removing the anthias individually will defeat the whole point of buying them together, as one could possibly change sex while alone in the qt. I'd purchase a bigger qt, one can be had for cheaper than any of your wanted fish.

That is true, I didn't really think about that, my constraints are less budget related and more space related, and I didn't think a tank on the floor in my bedroom would be a very bright Idea (I'm a college student who lives with my parents, so all my tank related items have to be confined to my room, which is mainly filled with the 55 gallon... :p, I swear, anymore equipment and I'll be sleeping with the fish!)

What would be the smallest QT you would recommend for 3 small sized (like 1-2 inch) Anthis?

I qt'd my 3 P. dispars in a 20L tank which worked well. The space issue will definitely limit you, but at least it doesn't have to be set up permanently.

I added my tailspot blenny first in my 37 gallon. He didn't bother anything that I added after that either. IMO I'd add the coral beauty last. Dwarf angels can be bullies for their size. I put a pygmy in my tank and couldn't add anything after that without out him terrorizing them to death.

Its simple. You add the least aggressive fish first, followed by moderately aggressive fish. The CB would go last on your list. Most angels can be bullies in the wrong situation ( esp. in smaller tanks!) so they go last..

Matthew

I'd do: blenny. anthias, clown, angel, mandarin - not that any of these fish would bother each other. The blenny first, because tailspots are so small and it will be less stressful for his into to the tank. He'll probably appreciate the addition of the anthias as dither fish. The angel is going to be king of the tank so he would last. I put the mandarin last because of the pod issue. With these fish, it doesn't make a big difference.

If you're a beginner, I'd sure research the care of those anthias.
I've never owned that particular species of anthias, but I can't imagine them being aggressive to a blenny or angel. My anthias ignore everyone but their own kind.

The problem I see with Qt'ing in the display tank, is medicating. Removing the anthias individually will defeat the whole point of buying them together, as one could possibly change sex while alone in the qt. I'd purchase a bigger qt, one can be had for cheaper than any of your wanted fish.
I had a bicolor anthias who was a maniac. He tried to bully everyone and wouldn't tolerate the angels or mandarins rising in the water column trying to spawn. He'd rush at them and break them up. I had to find him a new home. If I'd done a little research, I'd have thought twice about getting him ;)

^^^ good advice

Yes, I've seen some large bicolors before. I believe resplendents are fairly peaceful, though adding the blenny first definitely makes sense.

Make sure you have good film algae on your glass before adding the tailspot. The two I've had have never eaten much in the way of prepared foods. Nice stock list.

That's funny -- mines eats cyclops and reef caviar like a pig, but I'm starting to wonder why I've never once seen him grazing on algae :lmao: I've only had him about 6 weeks and don't have much time to watch the tank, though. They need teeny tiny food, have you tried that?

I think it's fair to say I've tried "teeny tiny food". Perhaps I've seen mine take a mouthful of roe once or twice. My first got totally emaciated and died when I did a "lights out" in my first tank for about 3 days in an algae battle. I had had that one for some time and it was healthy and full figured prior to the lights out. Thanks for the tip!

I QTd my 4 resplendant in a 20H but easily could have done so in my 15. Just gotta keep on the water changes.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I do have one more problem, my local LFS's are telling me that the respendents are not very hard and are also very expensive. So my question to you is,

1) For those who have actually owned resplendent anthias, are they extremely delicate? I have only owned a tank for a little over a year, and while I have not lost any fish they have only been clowns and wrasse, who are more hardy. So would this be a very bad decision for me? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this species, but from what I have read they are hardy and fairly easy to keep (other than multiple feedings a day), but now I'm starting to get doubts about this.

2) Will a 55 gallon tank be too small for one male and two females? While they are one of the smaller species I'm still worried, I don't want these guys to pacing the glass plus they are also pretty expensive (for me) and I don't want to be throwing my money down the toilet

3) Am I better off getting 3 Chromis? I really would like a "dither" fish and one that hangs out in the water colum, and I adore anthias but if It's really a bad idea, I will have to find something else

I am trying to be a responsible reefkeeper here, but I don't seem to be able to get any relivent answers to my questions lol So those with experience in these particular anthias, please chime in!! Would three resplendent anthias in a 55 gallon, with a few other fish, be a waste of time, effort, and money or even the fish themselves? I am really having a hard time with this one.

Last edited:
I have NOT actually owned resplendent anthias, P pulcherrimus,
but as suggested in the thread you need to research these fish in addition to asking on a thread. Scott Michael calls them delicate fish found 107 ft down hanging out in caves or below under hangs. That's a hint that they might not appreciate a well lit tank. Sometimes it means a fish can't handle high water temps. Michael says 72*-80* They get to be a bit over 4 in long. Personally I wouldn't put 3, four inch long fish in a 55g.

I assume you have researched anthias in general? You know they should be fed up to 4 times a day - that sort of thing? They like lots of flow, which should be varied not static. You do have a covered tank right? Anthias WILL jump.

As far as the chromis go, what are you saying? What does that mean have them for a year?

Anthias are not beginner fish did you check this list? Difficult and Special Care Species List It's a sticky at the top of this forum.

Last edited:
I actually just finished reading the difficult species list right after I posted my comment :hmm2: And I think you maybe right, I think I will stay away from a group of anthias until I can have a larger tank.

As for the Chromis comment, I apologize, reading back, even I have no idea what I was saying :hmm3: I'll edit that out lol

Thanks for the input, I am still rather new but trying to be responsible with my stocking.

So now I have a void to fill,
Are Chromis my only other "dither" fish option? I would'nt mind them but I have heard they will pick each other off one by one?

Yes and that's pretty awesome! :D

As for the chromis thing - There's so much to think about that it's impossible to hold it all in your head at the same time.

Again I apologize for having so many questions, but I guess it's better to be prepared than make a stupid mistake. I have done alot of research on Anthias in general, but there didn't seem to be much on this species. As an afterthought, can Anthias be kept singularly? Like could I just have a single male lyretail? Or would 55 still be to small for one?

The reason I ask is in planning out my fish list, I am trying to keep fish that will have their own area's within my tank, such as a blenny around the rock and bottom, and a pygmy angle around the rocks... you get the idea. Now I am just trying to find fish to occupy the water column. And I can't really seem to find anything other than Anthias or Chromis.

While they are cool looking fish I have never been a real big fan of the Cardinals lol but I won't rule them out completely.

Back