Which pump to choose

Thor2j

In the next few months I will be getting a 200 gallon display tank. The tank will be on the main floor and my sump will be in basement. The rise will be 8 feet to the next floor and then another 5 to top of tank. I want to run a 60 gallon frag tank as well off of a manifold. Would like to run uv sterilizer as well . The tank has 1 inch return. Will the 150 watt be enough or will I need the 230? I hate to reduce the output all the way down to 1 inch on the 230w model.

If I use different pump for frag tank would 150w be enough??

Thanks

The 150 is discontinued as the 230w and 150w were so close in cost and the 230’s outsold the 150’s 10:1. That said, given the head height of 12’ before friction losses, I’d suggest the RD3 230w High Pressure. It’s a 1.25” output so you’d be stepping it down a bit but some of that flow will be going to your frag tank so the loss from the reduction won’t be too terrible. I’d plumb with 1.25” out of the pump to the bottom of the display or even 1.5” by stepping it up to help mitigate some of the friction losses. The larger you go, the less friction loss which is why I’d step up to 1.5” and run that all the way up to the display before stepping it down to 1”.

Back