Which tripod?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13666393#post13666393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Actually build quality has to do with stability more than shear weight. That's why a cheap carbon fiber tripod isn't generally a good choice.
Absolutely, but then I never considered carbon fiber as being "beefy" either... It makes for great fishing and ski poles however! :D

-Tim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13666420#post13666420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgreene
Absolutely, but then I never considered carbon fiber as being "beefy" either...

My Gitzo is. ;)

BTW: Here's the 3025 3-D head... If you're not familiar with it, you'll see that it can easily twist and conform to any conceivable angle, including upside down. It does however take some getting used to! :)

Yeah - I'm familar with it. We have a different frame of reference. I don't do studio/product work. It's all nature photography in the field. In my genre it's all high-end carbon fiber and a ballhead.

For studio work it's a completely different set of requirements.

Cheers

I haven't bought a tripod or tripod add-on in 25 years, and back then I don't even recall carbon fiber being an option...

My monopod (Groschupp GCS 1800) w/ removable Groschupp ball is what I used and continue to use as a portable stability device. The other thing however, is being a competitive marksman, I've also learned to significantly reduce my heart rate and stop breathing when I take a shot... The same holds true with photography. Oddly enough, while the lens companies are striving for smaller more lightweight and portable lenses, it's come at a cost, because we can no longer use our arms and legs to create a platform of stability that was anywhere near what e could previously do w/ large bulky lenses.

About all I ever do these days is product or macro photography, but in the 80's I was working for Knight-Ridder, AP and a host of other publishers. During the mid-late 80's I shot a lot of sports all around Cleveland (including some pro), and was even selected to shoot the 89 World Canoe and Kayak Championships for AP out of Baltimore.

Once upon a time I carried 3 Maxxum-9000 bodies everywhere I went, with each having a different ISO film inside. I quit working professionally when I was informed that I would have to begin shooting color... Being a purist, it wasn't happening! ;)

-Tim

Doug, thanks for doing this thread. I think I'm going to take advantage of the live.com cashback and pick up legs and head on ebay.

I've decided on the Manfrotto 055xprob legs, because they taller and sturdier than the 190 legs.

I'm torn between the 322rc2 and 488 ballhead. Can you offer advice between the two of these? I think the 322rc2 would be strong enough for any camera/lens combo I put on it. I'm leaning towards the 488, since it would be easier to pan with that one.

My photos will primarily be macros of the tank and portrait. Thanks!

I've never cared for the "grip" heads but that's just personal preference. If it was me choosing between those two I'd get the 488 as well.

I am currently in the market for a tripod to support my D700. The D700 weighs in around 35 oz. and my heaviest lens is a AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED @ 35.3oz (close to 4.5 lbs total). I am trying to stay between $400~$600, possibly closer to 4. I would prefer a heavier setup and a bigger collapsed size if it can keep the price down....and also I am 6'1" so i need something tall. I mainly shoot outdoors and some macro shots of fish/animals,etc. I took a look at the 488CR2 because of the comments about it and it seems like it would work for a good price, but man am I stuck on deciding what legs. Ive also been looking at Gitzo options but not sure f I can fit it into my price range. Any experts care to push me in the right direction? I would appreciate it!

This would be a decent choice. It's aluminum so it's cheaper than fiber and you'd only have to extend the center column about half way. Your height eliminates a bunch of them.

Manfrotto 055XB

That head is a decent choice as well.

Cheers

Thanks for your help. I started to notice my height was becoming a deciding factor on alot of these tripod legs.

So that combo takes me under budget, so I keep browsing around and always seem to end up looking at this head GH1780. I like the independent pan and tilt locks for shooting panoramas.
I can only imagine the injustice of putting this head on a cheap set of legs though...

I love my Gitzo legs but haven't been fond of their heads. I love my Really Right Stuff head I've got the BH-40LRII but the BH-25 supports up to almost 9 lbs.

BH-25

Well I hate messing with my tripod. (came with my sony f-717) so I bought a monopod for a little stability. I got a Manfrotto 334B Automatic Monopod. And a 234RC quick release head. I figure it's a step up from not using anything. :D

Nice Debi. You're correct that anything that you can do to stabilize yourself is a step in the right direction. A monopod can be really handy for shooting sports (or anything else that moves). They can also be great for public places that don't typically allow tripods, like museums, aquariums, etc.

They don't lend themselves very useful to my style of shooting but that's just me.

Cheers

The legs are "okay." The geared column doesn't have any way to lock it down so it's not going to be very stable with it extended. That head also wouldn't be my first choice. It really looks like it's designed to be a video tripod versus photo.

I just added this to the first post, it'll definitely help in your case:

---
If you're going to the trouble of using a tripod you should also invest in a remote trigger. It doesn't matter if it's wired or wireless; the key is that you're not touching the camera during the shot. If you don't have a remote trigger, consider using the camera's self-timer feature. If your current tripod is less than stellar, this can make a huge difference in the sharpness of your shots.

Thanks Doug, the remote trigger is my next purchase. My old Velbon is mainly for Video. The reason i bought the newer Velbon and cost twice as much because it seems stronger plus they got my weakness by saying great for 35mm DSLR :D. I will look into purchase the ballhead

LOL, I like that kind of head myself. Mine looks much like that and is a quick release, as is my tripod that I never use. :D I am finding I will grab this monopod way more than I'll set up my tripod. My camera came with a remote. Haven't been anywhere to use it yet.

Back