Which tripod?

I did some research lastnight on the Gitzo tripod. Doug, you have such a expensive taste :D but the tripod looks very nice though. I will saving up for it.... BTW, i canceled my other tripod order.

If you don't want to break the bank, and don't mind a little extra weight, you could pick up a set of Manfrotto 190 series legs. That and a nice head would do fine. I love my Gitzo but a $650 tripod isn't for everyone.

Doug,
why settle with something that you are not fully happy with :D. I am saving up for the Gitzo. Just like reefing, i don't want to keep on upgrade....

Doug, can you recommend a "budget" Manfrotto/ballhead setup from B&H? I don't mind if it's heavy, just looking for a stable and reliable setup. My camera/lens is about 5 lbs and I'm thinking at least 4 ft high would be ideal.

Also, can I shoot in portrait orientation using a ballhead or do you guys suggest I buy an L-bracket?

thanks

One additional thing to consider when getting a tripod for aquarium photography is how reflective the legs are. Silver/aluminum can show in a photo if the lighting isn't just right. Consider black, grey, brown or dark green when shopping.

I also strongly suggest you go to a store to try out the heads (or order from a store with good return policy). Some will just feel more comfortable than others. Make sure it has the features you are looking for and attach YOUR camera and lens to it while you try it in the shop.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14183166#post14183166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm
Doug, can you recommend a "budget" Manfrotto/ballhead setup from B&H? I don't mind if it's heavy, just looking for a stable and reliable setup. My camera/lens is about 5 lbs and I'm thinking at least 4 ft high would be ideal.

Also, can I shoot in portrait orientation using a ballhead or do you guys suggest I buy an L-bracket?

thanks

Take a look at the Manfrotto 190 series. The 486RC2 is okay for the price but it's definitely no-frills.

I just picked up my compact tripod kit. It consists of:
Gitzo 1550T legs
Markins Q3 Ball Head
Q3T.jpg

Really Right Stuff B2 LR II Clamp
B2LRII.gif

Pretty well made stuff compared to the $30 walmart tripod I used to use.

I didn't pick up the L-bracket. The reviews I heard from others were very positive but I thought it would be just too bulky for my taste. Is it used primarily for portrait orientation?

It's for both orientations. It also allows you to switch back and forth very quickly. Spend the extra money - you won't regret it.

Doug,

I just wanted to thank you for your posts in the Lounge about my newly acquired gear. I used the POS tripod that I bought for a grand total of about 25 shots and decided that it is grossly inadequate for holding anything other than a P&S.

My Gitzo G1325 legs with a G1318 rapid column is due to be shipped tomorrow. I even decided on that without reading this post, this is actually the first time Ive ventured into this board.

I do have a question though, for taking nature photos and aquarium photos(probably more nature than aqua) what would your choice in heads be? Im looking at either the RRS BH-55 maybe even BH-40 or something that will handle the weight of a 500mm lense(thats my next purchase). Any furthur help would be wonderful.

For that set of legs I think that the 40 would be a good fit. You want to make your gear fit what it's going to be doing most of the time. The 40 will hold up just fine for occasional use on the 500. If the 500 is going to be your primary lens I'd probably get the 55.

Cheers and welcome to this side of RC.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190028#post14190028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Take a look at the Manfrotto 190 series. The 486RC2 is okay for the price but it's definitely no-frills.

Doug,
I actually ended up with the 190CX3 (not the pro3) and the 486RC2.. exactly what you recommended. lol but man, this combo does everything I need it to do.. and at about 4lbs, it's light enough to carry on hikes! I like how I can remove the centre column entirely.. it shaves a few ounces.
I was so close to buying the Gitzo mountaineer at B&H but the twist lock mechanism made me stop since I'm not familiar with it.

The 486RC2 doesn't have the separate lever for panning but I don't need that feature anyways. This is good for now.

The "only" beef I have with the RC2 plate is that it's somewhat bulky and heavy. Can you recommend a flatter, lighter, and less obtrusive quick release plate/ballhead combo that doesn't stick out on the bottom of my camera body?

thanks

Sure. You can actually get a Really Right Stuff clamp that fits the top of that ballhead. (I have one on my "emergency" tripod in the trunk of my car.) I love their L bracket and clamp system and would hate to ever have to give it up.

Giottos

Giottos

I have a Giottos MT9371 with a MH1301 ball head. It is the steel model which I like for its extra weight. I did look at Manfrotto tripods but personally didn't like them or their price. The Giottos brand also makes the same design in carbon fiber if you need to lug it around a lot. Personally when I go on walks I'll take the Giottos monopod. Nice thread Beerguy. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a professional tripod give Giottos a look. The model I have is able to get the camera on the ground for macro work which is not an option with a lot of tripods.

Giottos does sell some decent gear, the only real issue is that you have to be a little careful. They're a distributor, not a manufacturer so the quality can vary wildly.

Cheers

Can you please tell me what you think of this combination.

Bogen - Manfrotto 190CX3 3 Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs
Cullmann CU40200 High Load Magnesit Ball Head 35 with 40490 Deluxe Plate

I've read a lot of good things about them but wanted to know how well they would work together.

I'm currently using a $50 cheap tri-pod and it definitely is constraining my ability to take certain shots. My biggest complaint that even with the center extended all the way it only reaches slightly above eye-level. It's definitely not very sturdy as well, but in most cases that hasn't been an issue as much as the height.

I'm not taking photos at level that would justify a $500 for a tripod, but what are some taller tri-pods that would work well on a casual level? Out of the three options on the OP, I'd chose low cost, and stability, weight isn't a real concern for me.

The Manfrotto 190 series is a really good choice for a solid tripod at a reasonable price. It's available in aluminum as well as carbon fiber.

Back