White filter floss causing protien skimmer to go nuts

nauti1us

ORCA President 2007~2008
Hi All

I recently purchased some white polyfilter floss. This is the pure white very thin filter floss used for fine particulate matter removal. There aren't supposed to be any chemicals added to this filter floss material. However, when I cut a small 4 x 4 square and put it into my flow area of my sump, my Euro Reef Skimmer goes absolutely ballistic... I have to shut down the skimmer for at least 20 minutes before I can turn it on again. I'm assuming there is residual dechlorinator still in the filter media. Can anyone shed some light on this..? Additionally, is there anyway to easily remove what ever chemical is in the filter media causing this to happen. Thanks in advance,

Matt

Is it producing a wet skimmate? Might be reducing the outflow to where the water level is getting to high and not releasing enough water back into the tank. I had that happen to me when I accidently blocked the outflow from my skimmer and water went everywhere but back. Make sure this is not the problem. If not, I can't help you, sorry.

no sir, the flow is not being impeaded. There is plenty of flow moving through the white filter material. There must be some chemical seeping out from the filter material, like de-chlorinator or something because after about 20 minutes or so the skimmer calms down and everything is ok again...

My skimmer always has a crazy period when I turn it on. Sometimes just needs an hour or so to settle itsself down. Glad to hear everything is back to normal whatever the problem may have been.

I have read that in order for a skimmer to work at it's optimum,it should get the rawest form of your water.So it should'nt be filtered first. Besides,unless you wash that floss daily it's going to become a source of nitrates.

Same experience here. Not sure what causes it. Doesn't seem to do any "damage", but it's a PITA w/ the skimmer. Goes away after awhile....

Back