White Spots on Rocks

mickeyfish

Are these a form of algae or possibly Nerite snail eggs?

f5beefca5bc31d093d18bc3d5559c449.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still can't quite tell from your photo, but search photos of tunicates and small sponges; a guess is they may be one of those, especially if you don't have any nerite snails.

Well, I do have many Nerites so that is not out of the question. Couldn't find any sponge or tunicate pics that looked quite like the spots.

I tried for some better pictures for confirmation. These are appearing all over my rock work.
cca66cee0426ad40849ce378031d24ea.jpg
4e304f8f5217da86d227d7c1c4c9187f.jpg

Do these things have any depth to them? Nerite snail eggs are usually kind of flat and resemble sesame seeds. From the top to the bottom those first two white spots in the pictures look like sponges IMO. Also, eggs usually aren't deposited all over the place. IME there's usually just a cluster of them in a fairly small area. Do you have any snails that resemble the ones in the link below?

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/inverts

If they are in fact snail eggs some might survive, but the majority of them will either be eaten by something else or removed from the system via a skimmer, filter sock, water change etc.

Do these things have any depth to them? Nerite snail eggs are usually kind of flat and resemble sesame seeds. From the top to the bottom those first two white spots in the pictures look like sponges IMO. Also, eggs usually aren't deposited all over the place. IME there's usually just a cluster of them in a fairly small area. Do you have any snails that resemble the ones in the link below?

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/inverts

No depth. They are flat and distributed all over the tank. I have about a dozen nerites as seen below.
12a374e3592f5e4dc5e7443daba5e6e9.jpg

So what is the likely scenario? Will they hatch and overrun my tank? Get eaten by the hermits or fish?

Back