White Spotted Pygmy Filefish rapid breathing and suddenly shy

Marco333

I have a 40 breeder mixed reef that has been setup for over two years. The fish occupants are two ocellaris clownfish, a wheeler goby, an orchid dottyback, and a white spotted filefish. I've had the filefish for over 1.5 years. The newest addition is the dottyback which I added 6 months ago.

The filefish has always been the bravest and smartest fish in the tank. Always cruising about and coming to the surface begging for food when I walk up to the tank. He always ate the most food, eating everything he could get his mouth around. I would have to shoo him away from food so the other fish could eat.

About 3 weeks ago his personality completely changed. He suddenly became very shy and showed almost no interest in food. It seemed his vision coordination was impacted because he could no longer catch food accurately with his mouth. He would miss most of the food he tried to eat and he would only come out of hiding if I walked away from the tank which is completely outside his character.

Since this started 3 weeks ago, it has slowly gotten worse. He has very rapid breathing, barely eats, doesn't swim much, his stomach is sunken in, and one of his eyes is now swollen. His coordination is off and yesterday I saw him accidentally swim into my BTA which stung him. You can tell it hurts as he flinched and looked in pain. Really made me sad.

All of the other fish in the tank are healthy. Below are pictures of the filefish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In the first picture you can see his sunken stomach. In the second picture you can see his swollen eye. The bottom rim of the eye has white thickness. This fish species naturally has white spots and white frills on its body.
d1b018c3053068812f828481a84a97bd.jpg

e2cd605f3533e72fa1101f5058e19d6f.jpg

Have you added any corals/inverts recently? Those can carry the encysted (egg) stage of parasites.

Ever seen white stringy poo come out of him??

Maybe we should isolate him in a QT with 1.020 salinity, it might be easier to manage the issue this way.

Can you retake the photo without the blues, I will be clearer to view.

Clearly a problem exists, even if we don't know what it is yet.

Last edited:
No stringy poop at all. I introduced about 4 snails 2 months ago. No new corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here are some more pictures and a video of him without blue light. You can see his swollen eye and sunken belly. I just fed him reef frenzy and he did eat one piece. Wouldn't eat anything after the first piece. Unfortunately I am moving 7 hours away in 2 weeks and my quarantine tank has been taken down and packed.

The only other thing that changed recently is I did treat the tank with chemiclean about a week before he started showing signs.

aac79df7b3a20228cb2f26fecc2dd4f1.jpg

7ce6ce4f261a0aec8ead09db4fdfe948.jpg

22f24919927698db1d62ba3af97e9e37.jpg

<div style="width:100%;height:0px;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/91soy/nsquye" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;overflow:hidden;"></iframe></div>

Gave him a FW dip this morning and he didn't make it. Was lifeless a few minutes after I put him back in the tank. I may have done something wrong. I hope he didn't suffer too much.

Sorry to hear that
At least you tried and that's better than most.

He was likely weak and stressed already enough, but in the end, you would have had to move him anyways

Sorry for your loss. :sad2:

Were you dosing Chemiclean to eliminate cyanobacteria? There are anecdotal reports of some fish acting "funny" after using Chemiclean.

Sorry for your loss. :sad2:

Were you dosing Chemiclean to eliminate cyanobacteria? There are anecdotal reports of some fish acting "funny" after using Chemiclean.

Yes. First time I've used it in my tank which has been running over 2 years. I had a bad outbreak of green slime algae that I couldn't get under control. It worked well to clean up the slime.

Back