Who got you started in this hobby?

My dad always had freshwater, mostly cichlids and I took care of the tank most of the time - until my mother rearranged the living room and the tank was gone. Started again with freshwater when I had the room for a 55 gal 5 years ago and added a 210 gal reef in my new house when I had the space. I did research on the saltwater topic for three years before I was able to get going - well worth the wait.

It was a natural progession. I started with a few lake caught guppies in a plastic tray, then when onto planted freshwater and then into saltwater. I've kinda of started on my own, but I can be proud to say I helped bring a friend and two cousin into saltwater.

My wife. Now she's trying to stop the monster she created. I think it might be too late.. :p

Last edited:
What got me hooked on wanting a marine tank was that movie with the clownfish with three stripes and that hippo tang with the sting from the jellyfish (sorry LFS employee, kind of sick of the names)

The guy who actually got me started on it was a LFS employee in Maryland. I walked into the store saw their 12g Nano DX Reef then saw their 120g SPS and Softie reef and i asked the guy what it took to start a reef tank. Since i didn't have much room he sold me:

Nanocube DX
Aragalive
Oceanic Salt
8lbs of Cured Fiji and Tonga Branch LR

Went home, set it up after a few days got a clean up crew, then after a week got a clown and a royal gramma. LFS guy walked me through the entire process with testing and everything.

Then the pump broke, which caused me to set up the 26g that i currently have just reset up from moving to ohio.

$1100+ and all I have to show is a tank with a YWG, BTA, Bulleye Shrooms, Hairy Shrooms, a large crab and rock and sand. Equip - listed in my sig

I was visiting the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago with my boyfriend. We had always talked about setting up a SW fish tank, but I saw sun polyps for the first time at the Shedd. I started researching when we got home...and oddly enough, I still haven't got any sun polyps (although I've got many other things!).

Anna :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10440249#post10440249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by purebullet417
melev's stupid websight lol.

^That was eventually what made me do it, but my dad had a 110g reef when I was really young, we went on a vacation and had a power outage, pump seized up and it died. He was what gave me the idea to start another one.

I worked one summer (12-13) for a 55g guppy tank and had it for almost 10 years before I decided to switch to salt. Not 3 months after I set up the 55 I upgraded to a 125g lol... good times!

I was thrown into the ocean like the nirvana baby when i was an infant. About ten years after my tragic experience and multiple hospital fees i had experienced sushi. and it was good.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

When I was young, my father had a few saltwater tanks. When I was 11, he took me to Club Med - Tahiti and I snorkled around the lagoons surrounding the island of Morea. That's what got me.

And then many years later, I got divorced. That very day, I went to my LFS and bought myself a 29g tank, UGF, powerheads, and some crushed coral. It was long overdue that I finally spent some money on me - and my divorce was the real reason I got into the hobby. :D

Many people get divorced because of this hobby - those people are nuts. You need a two-income household to keep up with all the cool new corals and hardware. ;)

reef keeping and crack addicts share close similarities....hahaha.Funny story Marc. That same day..hahh. Good for you!!!

I myself always had a few freshwater tanks when I was younger. Then an x gave me her wet/dry pump and plumbing and some crush coral for a 75 I had. Found RC and have been hooked. No spending a small fortune like everyone here on my build..

5 years ago my college roommate set up a small reef tank. At the time I had kept freshwater and always wanted to try it. 9 months later his tank crashed and 4 hours ago I finished re-aquascaping after the [counting] 5th tank move.

scaryperson27.......I edited your thread. This is a family friendly forum. Please watch what you say.

Back