why do my birdsnest die?

bizzleb01

I can not keep birdsnest alive. I lost a bird of paradise frag and the recent mini colony of green birdsnest is starting to die. My purple stylo and pacilapora also don't look that great.

Parameters are 1.026, 8.2 alk, 1310mg, 415 calcium, 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate.

My John deer lephastrea has also stated receding and my tyree blue chalice had a brown "film" on the bottom of it.

I've got a photon 32 led. It comes on at 10am and gradually increases hourly to 61% blue and 58% white at 3pm. It then gradually decreases hourly until 8 when it is just 10% blue for an hour and then off. All my other sps and lps are thriving

If you truly have 0 phosphate and 0 Nitrate, then your Alk is to high. Your corals are starving to death. Read up on low nutrient systems.

any pics? If 0/0 and all parameters perfect than should be Zero algae. Are all of your SPS dying?

U didn't mention temp through out the day and ph through out the day. I say it that way cause both change a lot different times of day. How long has the system been up and running?do u dose anything?

Tank is 7 months old. All acros and monti are thriving. Temp is around 80 +- 1° through out the day. I've checked ph randomly at different times of the day and is between 8.2-8.4. I don't have a prob or monitor do I don't know ph and temp at all times.

Resin and all filters were just changed in r/o unit a month or so ago and tds reads 0. Only made 100 gallons of water since changed.

I do side B-ionic two part daily and feed coral frenzy twice a week. No algae. I was having to clean the glass a lot but it's every other day or so now.

Maybe excess nutrients if the glass is getting covered that fast in algae every other day or so maybe the corals are too..my glass needs cleaning every few weeks and that's only by choice for small diatoms and coraline but you can still see clearly through the tank....maybe filter socks and up the skimmer process and run gfo/ carbon

Don't know here personally. I don't like my Alk that high and my pH is typically 7.8 which I think is low, but I don't ever seem to get it much higher. Hopefully some of the others here can help :(.

If the glass is that dirty no way the tank is 0/0. If that's the case the alk level is fine. I keep mine at 8.5 with .03 p04 and sps loving it.

Not sure why birdnest having issues, light maybe? Mine look better around 150 par.

I just think it's weird it's only the "fuzzy" sps that seen to really be affected. Other than the lephastrea they seen to be the only ones that don't thrive.

I don't know where the excess nutrients world be coming from. I only feed once a day and only enough that it's gone within a minute or do. I change my sock every other day and it's never that filled. Skimmer runs 24/7 other than **** offs to feed corals for 30 min.

I just think it's weird it's only the "fuzzy" sps that seen to really be affected. Other than the lephastrea they seen to be the only ones that don't thrive.

I don't know where the excess nutrients world be coming from. I only feed once a day and only enough that it's gone within a minute or do. I change my sock every other day and it's never that filled. Skimmer runs 24/7 other than **** offs to feed corals for 30 min.

It is weird my fuzzy sps are the hardiest ....maybe check results with a different test kit

For phosphate and alkalinity I use hanna checkers and the rest I use red sea.

I did forget to mention I do use a bag of chemi-pure in my sump to help with nutrient export.

Back