Widmer's LED Projection System

Widmirs Tank

Widmirs Tank

Wid you need to have a ground floor Apt. next :) then we have to start a fund to get you a much bigger tank just to see what you come up with next :beer: Good Job man!

Thanks for the kind comments. I have recently handed off the fixture to a fascinating local reefer. I've encouraged him to make an account here to put up some pictures of the really interesting stuff he has going on.

As far as the bigger tank is concerned, it just arrived today :D

Scroll to post 23 to see it:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1957317

And yes, I will be making a new fixture that goes on the ceiling.

Leds

Leds

So Mr Widmer sir :thumbsup: very happy for your new tank. You must be busten at the seems to get started on you new LED fixture :idea:. SO, although you stated your good with that tank size.......ahummATM, when your LEDS are maken the corals pop n grow like mad i`ll give you about 2 months to start asking who wants frags! AHEM :wave:
I`m gathering materials for my fixture now and a serious LED buy soon. In the meantime i`ve been fiddling with the reef obsession and was not to happy with the output of my Gen-x 40 driving my ETSS 600...so i replaced it with a new Iwaki MD55RLT and BAM! ETS 600 on steriods :dance: Skimate is much better. Tank responce was almost overnight. Seems it is now handling 410 gals net water volume with ease :fish2:

Last edited:
That is because you did not follow through. When the fish aren't using the light just turn it on your girl friend and put her in the spot light. Problem one solved :)

Problem 2 should just need to change your lenses. What kind of LEDs do you have.

If you were replying to me TheFishMan65, then thanks for the advice :p
I have a 10 gal, with 6 XR-E RB and 6 XR-E Q5 Cool white, no optics and about 4 inches over the water.

You can see my tank thread and LED build here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650137

I would LOVE to talk about my tank problems, but I don't want to jack anyone's thread, so feel free to post into mine. I could use some help.

I hate digging up old threads..Im sorry

I hate digging up old threads..Im sorry

so i spent the last few hours looking through your build and all the links you posted with, its an amazing build and some of it is over my head but i had a few questions, i would have send you just a PM but i don't have those privileges yet - i don't post enough here :s

If you were to explain this to someone who has no clue would you tell them that it is essentially just a regular LED build with a couple twists like, tight angle optics and a DC power source? or would you call it something else?

Secondly i have been looking for a way to light my new tank for quite a while and this is honestly the best and greatest way that i have found so far, but i don't know how well it might work for my tank for two reasons. One its a bow front so id have to modify the rails to still be clock-able to get the right angles but also have to add a few to create the "bow" and secondly I have exposed rock and i don't know how that would go over as far as shadows go. But if you wouldn't mind taking a look it's only a few pages and its 90% pictures but here is my build

if you could let me know what your thoughts are that would be amazing!

Thanks
Jamie

Yellowworld you are going to have some serious shadows unless you get creative with the light placement. You could build a quick rail and have some of the lights point toward the face of your cliff from a little bit if front of the tank.

I tried to combat shadows with a few modules at different angles.
picture.php

Yellowworld you are going to have some serious shadows unless you get creative with the light placement. You could build a quick rail and have some of the lights point toward the face of your cliff from a little bit if front of the tank.

picture.php

picture.php

I bet i could make like 8-10 small like pucks with 4 or 5 leds a piece and then put them on an ark around the tank and direct them into the tank to try and get rid of the shadows, maybe even put them into recessed lighting pots in the ceiling

Back