Widmer's LED Projection System

Makes me want to try and use these as a set of headlights in the car..........Hmmmmmmmm:hmm4:

Scott

They have found that they can reduce the headlight wattage by about 50% when using HPLEDs for headlights. However they need about 6 separate lens systems to cover all the various areas, and these are highly engineered lenses at that.

So far they are so expensive that only two vehicle models presently use them. And you wouldn't want to afford either of them.:(

Oooh, looks like fajita night at Widmers!! :D

Kcress, Man we used to have fun at the Lazerium:hmm4: Havent done that in years. Did they resurrect the show at the new academy?

Funny you mention that, I was just about to throw some guacamole together for while I watch LOST. Too bad herbs cost so much, I really need an herb garden. Think how much money I'd save on the mojitos, pesto and guacamole.... Anyone in the Ann Arbor area got a cilantro frag?

widmer you gotta see my garden lol I got all that stuff. Me and my girl love mojitos so we have our big mint plant and other called here "yerba buena" also have some cilantro, oregano and all kinds of herbs and fruits. I could do you a frag pack if you want it ;)

Kcress, Man we used to have fun at the Lazerium:hmm4: Havent done that in years. Did they resurrect the show at the new academy?

It was DeAnza College Planetarium. It was based on Led Zeppelin. Unfortunately they ran the sound up so high I was cringing until I stuffed plastic bag pieces into my ears. Then I enjoyed it.
I was bummed that I knew far more about their projector than they did;
"Is that a Krypton 1W or a 3W laser?"
"Ummm, ahh, it's a gas laser.. I think.."

Wow, all this talk of Lazeriums, Led Zepplin, and Herbs. What kind of thread you runnin' here, Widmer??:lol:

(hey, I just hit post #5000! That was quick!)

A quick thanks to Widmer for the inspiration.

I built my prototype based on your design. This is 3 XP-Gs and 3 XR-E Royal Blue on a 2.75" x 3.75" x 1" heatsink. Gets plenty hot at 1000ma but a 3" CPU fan keeps it nice and cool.

LEDPrototype.jpg

Optics are 13 degree on the XP-Gs and 10 degree on the XR-Es. Produces about a 14" spot at 54" which is the height I'll be mounting a number of these over my incoming Oceanic Illuminata rimless. Plan to change the ratio to 1 XP-G to 2 XR-Es. Needs more blue.

LEDSpot.jpg

Couldn't have done it without you, Widmer, and the rest of the RC LED maniacs.

You know you're all crazy, right?

I like that!!:thumbsup:

Wait, I thought it was everyone else who was crazy - we're the sane ones! :D

Well, don't know about you guys, but I was diagnosed as "crazy" back in the 70's when autism was classfied as schizophrenia. My mild case of autism (Asperger's) got me frequent visits with the school psychologists. I suppose they thought I might try to take over the world or something.:lmao:

Keep up the great work! I'm watching with rapt facination.:crazy1:

been reading like a mad man for the past few days, i want to make sure i make the best DIY led fixture i can... still have a ton of reading to do, thanks to all that have contributed!!

for those asking for long term growth shots check out this thread from manhattan reefs, his username is emmanuel (in case the link gets deleted) search for his DIY LED thread by searching for his posts under username, should be on the second or third page...

shots are at 8 months of LED

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/56099-all-i-can-say-damn-these-leds-rock.html

BTW the best pics are on page two

Awesome build widmer, I've been fantasizing about a ceiling mounted Cree light with 8 degree optics for over a year now, but have ended up with 20 degree for vertical adjustability. Next step is to actually cut the drywall and flush-mount it with your ceiling :D Glad to see another reef LED geek semi-local to me too!

Also, sorry to see the thread turn into what it did... diluted a great build thread!

-Tim

Also, sorry to see the thread turn into what it did... diluted a great build thread!

They all do.. :sad2:. I did one on an inexpensive fixture method and some yahoo shows up on the first page posting ebay-like junk and wanting opinions.. :fun2: sigh

Back