wild mangrove

yraveh

Are the mangrove that grow in aquarium -the same that we have in the wild here in south Florida ?

If yes- did anyone ever tried to grow at home a mangrove collected from the wild ?

Thanks
Yehuda

I have grown mangroves from pods (white mangrove) and red mangroves that washed up on shore. Both are super easy to care for in my opinion. I throw them in my sump in pots and they sprout. I have also tested with waste water from water changes outside and that works as well. So yes, you can grow them.

I wonder if mangroves would grow in my skimmer cup. They pull a lot of water out of a system and shed salt through the leaves, so maybe you could place some in the cup, and never have to empty it. Rinse leaves to put salt back into the tank and you never have to worry about fluctuating salinity.

From what I've read, they use a significant amount of the magnesium in the system to export the salt from the water they use. Ive been playing with the idea of incorporating one into my main display, I really like the aerial root look. I'm wondering if those who have one in their sumps regularly check/dose magnesium or if water changes are enough.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Magnesium is the least I dose in my systems. I dose probably 5 times for alk and calcium than magnesium. I have about 150 mangroves in my sump.

Back