Will a hermit crab survive an aggressive?

WDWDen

They have a pretty large hermit crab at the LFS and my son constantly bugs me to buy him. I have a large clown trigger, a smaller titan and a lion. Do you think a crab would have any chance of survival? I do have a couple of small snails that came in my live rock and they really don't mess with them. I think it would be a cool surprise for my son to come home and see the hermit in my tank. What do you think?

billsreef

Moderator, 10 & Over Club
Premium Member
Those triggers are pretty well equipped to pull apart crabs. Makes for a very good chance the hermit will be dinner sooner or later.

aquaman67

I have a starry hermit crab in with my Picasso and Snow Flake eel.

The crab is bigger than a baseball and the trigger is about 6 inches. I worry about the trigger, not the crab.

billsreef

Moderator, 10 & Over Club
Premium Member
It's all size relative with triggers generally having the upper hand in cases of equal sizing and always having the upper hand when they are bigger than crab ;)

pinkie

I agree with billsreef. The crab willl more than likely be eaten. I have a snowflake eel, two puffers, and a harlequin tusk, all of which love large to eat hermits. I have had 5 large hermits in my tank, and only one has survived so far, and it's only a matter of time before he gets eaten I'm sure. Back when I had a trigger, he was able to kill a large hermit. He simply would surprise the hermit and take off one limb at a time until he could pull him out of his shell. Took a few days, but he got it.

FishyMel

I had large red hermit crab in my tank and it worked for about a year until my banana eel ripped him out when he was drying from his molt, very violent. I would try it again though, just watch him closely when he molts.

saltyESQ

I have a large hermit that survives with a 4" clown trig, 6"humu and 9" queen.

They all go after him but he has been going on for almost a year. I have noticed the queen trying to blow the sand underneath his feet in an attempt to turn him over. But that hermit is so mean that he steals food from the fish and when the fish go after him he even tries to snap them with his claws.

Chef Choy

I too have a baseball sized hermit, he is in with a 4in clown trigger, a 5in Black hawaiian, 8in pinktail, and a 5in imperator. I too worry about the fish more than the crab. He is a beast! If you get one, I would add him at night, or while the lights are out. This way you aer not adding him like you add food, and they wake up and he is there.......insted of adding him like you add dinner.

sean48183

The hermit and fish will be fine. Big hermits can defend themselves very well but are way to slow to catch a fish. Word of caution though. These guys can move some rocks around. I mean big rocks. There strength is ridiculous. Mine literally shoved 5lb rocks back and forth in the tank as well as pushed all the sand to one side and back. Can't be beat for cleaning the substrate.

WDWDen

Thanks for the relies everyone. I think I may take my chances and get one. Is there a certain type of hermit crab I should look for, or will any kind do?

Ranzan

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10461534#post10461534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyMel
Just get a BIG one!!! the bigger the better.

Exactly!!!:D Ive had a red hermit that i got as a tag along with my rock he is a mean little bugger