Wilted Kenya Tree

plowro8

In Memoriam
I just brought home a new Acan, Zoo and Kenya Tree. For some reason the Kenya is wilted and is showing no signs of life, while the Acan and Zoo are both doing fine and opening up. Is it normal for the Kenya to be a little shocked?

I just brought home a new Acan, Zoo and Kenya Tree. For some reason the Kenya is wilted and is showing no signs of life, while the Acan and Zoo are both doing fine and opening up. Is it normal for the Kenya to be a little shocked?

In some cases, yes. Just give it some time and it should perk back up for you. Also, these corals will shut down on occasion and shed a waxy layer. It's just part of the growth process IMO and nothing to worry about.

Although I've never had one, because of their tendency to take over tanks, I've heard it's nearly impossible to kill kenya trees. When you say it's showing no signs of life, what exactly do you mean?

Mine close up if they are in too much flow. But mine are in my sump- I ripped them out of my DT but they still appear everywhere. Damn weed.

Sounds like I should have done a little more homework before getting the Kenya. I have read a lot about them being invasive weeds... How do you control them?

Sounds like I should have done a little more homework before getting the Kenya. I have read a lot about them being invasive weeds... How do you control them?

not really, they just thrive under perfect conditions. and they can grow somewhat rapidly. but if you regularly frag it you will be fine :D

not really, they just thrive under perfect conditions. and they can grow somewhat rapidly. but if you regularly frag it you will be fine :D

Oh Great.... Now I need to learn how to frag! This hobby just keeps getting more and more fun.... haha

There is no real control. They grow rapidly and shoot off babies when they are happy. They shrivel and shoot off babies when they are stressed. Eventually they do get everywhere. But they are great nutrient feeders, which is why they now live in my sump.

There is no real control. They grow rapidly and shoot off babies when they are happy. They shrivel and shoot off babies when they are stressed. Eventually they do get everywhere. But they are great nutrient feeders, which is why they now live in my sump.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "great nutrient feeders"? Are you saying they feed on unwanted nutrients in the tank?

I don't know that they "eat" nutrients, but they tend to thrive in higher nutrient waters and help reduce them. Some people use them as filtration much like cheato, xenia, ats's, even aptasia.

I used to have a bunch of them.. Killed them all off by keeping my tank squeaky clean for a few months. I didn't really mean to at the time, but I didn't regret losing them either..

Well it seems to have perked back up and now looks to be healthy. Hopefully that doesn't mean that my water is dirty!

I am looking for something that will offer lots of color and sway a bit in the current. Does anyone have much experience with Frog Spawn and Torch corals? I am thinking about adding a few heads of those.

Back