Wiring for Multiple Meanwell Drivers

So I'm looking to re-wire my DIY LED setup because I fried a few lights (most likely too high on my driver setup) but wanted to know if there was a better/more efficient way to wire up the A/C and D/C power going to my meanwell drivers.

In case you are not familiar with the 60-48D versions, they require a 10V max DC input as well as a standard A/C input. Since I'm not good with electrical concepts, I followed the step-by-step instructions and repeated that 4 times, once for each driver. Now, I have 4 A/C plugs and 4 D/C plugs controlling the 4 meanwells. Can I simplify this? Aka, can I use 1 A/C plug to control all 4 drivers and 1 DC plug to control all drivers, without the risk of losing the required voltage to power each driver?

Yes. You can wire all the a/c power coming into the drivers on one plug. By d/c I assume you mean the 10v powers supply that powers the dimmer, and yes you can wire all of them together to supply the dimmer to all the drivers off one power supply.

I only like to connect 2 drivers to one cord. If you get a cord with bigger wire like 8 then you could do more.

I only like to connect 2 drivers to one cord. If you get a cord with bigger wire like 8 then you could do more.

These only draw 1.2A at the 110AC side..
14Ga wire is rated at 5.9A power transmission.. (much higher in short runs i.e "chassis use")
3 Meanwells should be no problem w/ "standard" power cord..
12ga (9.3A) will handle 7...

These are a fairly "soft" load.. no induction motor spike in power draw ect.AFAICT..
and the above is quite conservative..

In careful engineering the voltage drop, insulation temperature limit, thickness, thermal conductivity, and air convection and temperature should all be taken into account. The Maximum Amps for Power Transmission uses the 700 circular mils per amp rule, which is very very conservative.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Thanks for the responses. That will definitely help. Based on my current setup I will break it out into 3 drivers on 1 plug and the 4th driver on its own plug. I will do the same with the 10V wall warts. Thanks!

These only draw 1.2A at the 110AC side..
14Ga wire is rated at 5.9A power transmission.. (much higher in short runs i.e "chassis use")
3 Meanwells should be no problem w/ "standard" power cord..
12ga (9.3A) will handle 7...

These are a fairly "soft" load.. no induction motor spike in power draw ect.AFAICT..
and the above is quite conservative..

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

I didn't know the exact sizes but did remember talking with my friend when I did mine. I decided to do 3 on one and 2 on another. I'm thinking about doing a 6th driver and would change it to just 2 per. Reason being 2 for whites, 2 for blues and 2 for colors.

Back