Wood stand construction

AndyL

Hey folks,

I'm about to build a stand to stack a pair of semi cubes (24"x24"x16") 40g each.

I just about bought the wood today to start on it - building it in my traditional manner, but then I realized, it's only 80g. I may be overbuilding it and making my life more difficult than it has to be.

Traditionally, my stands are built with the shelves using a double perimeter of 2x4 with a center 2x4 support, capped with 3/4" ply. Vertical supports are made with a doubled up 2x4 (one spans full height, the second are incomplete spans to provide a solid place for the shelves to sit).

Of course thats used for long breeding racks, this is a little corner unit with only 2 40g tanks on it. I probably don't need quite that much support do I?

What would the carpenters of RC recommend for construction of this stand?

Lets throw a wrench in the works, is there a way I could build it so that I could eliminate a corner support (stand will be in a corner - would be nice if I didn't have a big post right in the visible area)?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

I won't say that I'm a carpenter but I just read a post today where a guy uses only the plywood for his stand, no 2x4 frame. And that was for a 120 among other sizes of tanks. If you've got two 40 gal tanks going into a corner, are you making a triangle shaped stand? A bit confused there.

Wasn't planning to do a triangular stand... Suppose it's a possibility (could aways find use for more storage). I was thinking a square stand - having 2 sides 'exposed'. Which is what brought up the thought of removing a corner post, thus that corner that will be out front and center, will be unobstructed.

Andy

ply is actaully stronger then 2x4s I have beuilt stands for 240s out of nohting but 1/2

I understand now. I feel kinda dumb. I would say yeah it would be fine. As long as you've got that vertical support of the plywood underneath the tanks. What would really be something is if you could make the stand with no support like bolted to the studs with an inconspicious bracing system underneath. Or do you need the room underneath for sump & other equipmend? Oh well I'm rambling now.

Ok... maybe I need to start over...

Need a stand, 2 40g tanks (24x24x16") tanks 'stacked' (one tank roughly 24" off the floor, one @ roughly 60"). I want to put it square in a corner, so two adjoining sides are visible. Sump will be under another tank - to the side, no room/access needed beneath.

- how much wood / what kind of construction for the tank shelves? Plywood is great, but a single layer of 1/2" ply isn't going to hold up a 400+ lb tank by itself...

- Is it possible to eliminate supports on the 4th corner allowing unobstructed views of both tanks? How would I accomplish this safely?

No problem getting an unobstructed view of 2 sides of the top tank. There's nothing above its shelf that needs support. The problem is getting a look at both sides of the bottom tank without some support for the shelf for the upper tank.

So what you need is a design for the upper shelf that will be stiff enough and strong enough to handle the load with its only support coming from the 2 sides of the stand against the wall. The weight itself is no big deal: it's that corner cantilevered almost 8-1/2" (1/2 the length of the diagonal).

As a first shot at it I would consider the following for the upper shelf. Make a sandwich of 3/4" plywood squares, the top and bottom of which would be big enough for the tank. The center of the sandwich would be 3/8" bigger in both dimensions.
With the walls of the stand also made of plywood, put a 3/4" wide rabbet 3/8" deep to accept the center of the plywood sandwich. Apply a good wood glue to the mating surfaces (I like Titebond II) and use pocket screws to suck the shelf into the sides of the stand. Dress up the plywood edges with a matching hardwood.

For the sake of consistency you can build the lower shelf this way as well. But you will definitely want some support under the front corner of the lower shelf anyway otherwise the whole thing tips over :^)

I would guess about 2 sheets of plywood would cover it, plus some hardwood to cover the edges.

Maybe someone out there can shoot some holes in the idea ?

Matt

Back