Worried about my bta

J0E

Hello all. I'm new to reefing. 5 months in. I'm worried about my bta. After getting it, it was thriving. But over the last 3 weeks or so, it isn't expanding like it was, and it's not extending it's tenticles. I haven't seen it mouth open or anything, nor has it moved since it settled in its original location. I have a16 gal biocube. I feed mysis shrimp and recently purchased fritz coral max. This is when i got it in February.
1000001654.jpg

Over the last 3 weeks is been like this. That's a far it's teticles extend.
1000002677.jpg

1000002750.jpg

1000002688.jpg

Shriveled up a lot.

1000002685.jpg

Last set of tests. I just switch my salt to RPM redline. Lights running from 12-8 including ramp up- down, and blues. Water changes every 2 weeks. Also, I have 2 clowns, but they don't host it. Thanks for the help.

And is I was writing this post last night, it moved to a new location this morning.

Welcome to RC!

It does look like it’s declining. It looks like your Ph is a little low and same with your phosphate. Here are the generally recommended parameters:

IMG_0094.jpeg

With that said, the tank is a bit new for an anemone in my opinion as the first year or so is usually when parameters are a bit less stable.

Also I’m curious if the paint from the painted shells may be leaching something into the water. While it may not affect fish, inverts are generally more sensitive to water chemistry.

Yes, the anemone does look to be declining. Anemones can be difficult to maintain, especially for people newer to the hobby and newer tanks. We generally recommend people new to the hobby not add more challenging inverts, corals and (especially) anemones in the first year. This give you the opportunity to get your parameters stable and learn about keeping reef tanks.

Agree, phosphate and pH are a bit low.

I'm also a bit concerned about a Blue Hippo Tang being added to a 16 gallon tank. Tangs grow quite large and need a lot of swimming space to remain healthy. Blue Hippo Tangs can get up to a foot long and the minimum suggested tank size for them is 180 gallons.

I thought about the shells as well. That was something for the kids, but I took them out since the snails just buried them in the sand. I'm looking into raising ph and phospates. And I'm in the process of setting up a larger tank. That was a christmas present to get started, and I'm already upgrading. I hope it doesn't die, but if it does I will wait to get anything else. Thanks

I've also seen my shrimp bothering the crap out of it. I'm not of that has something to do with it.
1000002780.jpg

Strong lighting is also necessary. Your shrimp might be stealing food or actually eating necrotizing flesh. Here's hoping for better results as you go.

Back