would this be a decent saw?

DeWalt is made by Black & Decker.......

To be clear:

Black & Decker has OWNED DeWalt since 1960. Stanley and Black & Decker merged in 2009. DeWalt is Subsidiary, as is Porter-Cable (since 2004).

While DeWalt has certainly had some problematic models, their tools are professional quality and much different than the B&D line of products.

There is no question that Festool makes quality products. Howver, at 5x the cost, they better be good tools!

To be clear:

Black & Decker has OWNED DeWalt since 1960. Stanley and Black & Decker merged in 2009. DeWalt is Subsidiary, as is Porter-Cable (since 2004).

While DeWalt has certainly had some problematic models, their tools are professional quality and much different than the B&D line of products.

There is no question that Festool makes quality products. Howver, at 5x the cost, they better be good tools!

Any tool maker is going to make a bad tool every now and again. I have two festool drills and have nothing nice to say about them. All four of my dewalts are my go to drills. On the original subject I own the Kapex and wish I had my $1300 back.

Don

I think you are the first unhappy Festool owner I have talked to. I have tried a few of them in the store, but never taken one home as I don't like the value proposition they offer. That and they have an odd feel to them.

I have several DeWalts that have taken a beating over the years, as does my father and brother. I will likely buy DeWalt again next time. We have a Bosch LiON also. It is nice, but I like my old DeWalts better.

I have the 12" Ridgid CMS and have been very happy with it for what it is. I have used the DeWalts countless times as well and feel that they are as good, if not better than the Ridgid. I purchased the Ridgid because it was a lot cheaper and has a lifetime warranty.

To the OP, either get a 10" slider or the 12" non slider. A 10" CMS that does not slide is pretty much useless for anything by small trim and 2x4 material.

You really would get more use out of a good circular saw, as the CMS is not really the ideal all-around saw. In fact, unless you are doing some serious repative cutting (framing a home) it is somewhat useless.

I think you are the first unhappy Festool owner I have talked to.

I'm realistic. Just because I own it doesn't make it a good or favorite tool. Not all festool stuff is all that great. I'm not part of the green cult. I also own the domino and quite a few other festool tools and just this week ordered the domino xl.

Don

I'm realistic. Just because I own it doesn't make it a good or favorite tool. Not all festool stuff is all that great. I'm not part of the green cult. I also own the domino and quite a few other festool tools and just this week ordered the domino xl.

Don

I have seen your a Powermatic fan,can you comment on their quality? (even though I will probally never be able to afford a tablesaw by them :) )

I have seen your a Powermatic fan,can you comment on their quality? (even though I will probally never be able to afford a tablesaw by them :) )

The only pm purchase I regret is the drill press. Quality is not really up to par but beats most of the other junk out there drill presses today stink in general unless you get over the 3k price range Maybe the 24" bandsaw really should have gone bigger.

Dom

Back