Wrasse for flatworms

gusmanda

Do all wrasse eat flatworms to some extent? I would like to know what genus tend to be more of a guarantee. My LFS has a Red Coris which seems to work out pretty well, however I'm concerned of the size the fish will eventually attain, so wonder whether whether a smaller specimen of the Coris family would work, or whether something from Halichoeres would do the trick. I currently have a Fairy wrasse in a 125g tank that doesn't seem to be doing much to control the flat-worm population.....

Depending on how many you have the wrasse may help but might not eradicate the flatworms entirely

Agree with Dmorty. Some may not even show interest. One that I like is similar to the melanarus but smaller. Red lined wrasse (Halechores Biocelatus).

I'm already siphoning a bunch of them each week, so if the wrasse helps out with some of the stranded ones it'll be good enough for me!!

Fairy or Flasher wrasses are not generally good pest eaters. Leopards are hit or miss. Haliocheres wrasses are best IME. Hoeven/Melenarus is good; Dusky better but gets quite large. I've no experience with the coris wrasses; always viewed them as not reef safe/

Back