Wrasse Suggestions?

malx

Hi, All.

Considering a wrasse in my 55g tank as my last fish to add. I'd like something peaceful and colorful. My tank in in a wall and has a euro brace. I know Wrasses have a reputation for jumping out and if there's one that is less likely to do that I'd prefer that one.

Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they are all susceptible to jumping. A nice red head solon wrasse would add some nice color. What other color fish do you have?

Just my two cents, but don't risk it without some type of screen/cover. Nothing is worse than going to all the trouble of acclamation, to only find them carpet surfing down the road. That said six line wrasses are cool.

I reakly love my naoko wrasse and my melanurus wrasse. They arent rare but they both have alot of personallity and strong. I had a heater malfunction in my ild tank that killed everything except for those two they made it because they were sleeping under the sand.

My vote is for a Leopard Wrasse (or 2) Strikingly beautiful, won't bother any other fish, and will spend it's day hunting for pests.

The very last wrasse I would have is a six line. It will go rogue, you just won't know when until you see the devastation. And then you'll get to tear your rock work apart to catch it.

And a HUGE +1 to a DIY mesh top. ANY fish can jump. Wrasses are prone to it.

Definitely don't get a Wrasse without a cover to keep it in. Bulk Reef Supply has a great DIY mesh top kit if you need one.

Leopard Wrasse, Red-tail Flasher, Pintail Fairy, Philippines Lunatus Fairy and Flame Wrasse are some of the smaller, more peaceful Wrasses that could work in a 55 G.

Thanks for everyone's advice. What about a cleaner wrasse as well?

Also do all wrasses go after pests? I'd want one that would look for SPS bugs and other bugs and parasites that may come up as a preventative measure. Of course I'd feed them a lot of frozen!

My vote is for a Leopard Wrasse (or 2) Strikingly beautiful, won't bother any other fish, and will spend it's day hunting for pests.

The very last wrasse I would have is a six line. It will go rogue, you just won't know when until you see the devastation. And then you'll get to tear your rock work apart to catch it.

And a HUGE +1 to a DIY mesh top. ANY fish can jump. Wrasses are prone to it.

+1
Love my leopard! She is by the far the most peaceful fish in my tank, just spends the entire day hunting pods.

+2 on the mesh top. Saved a couple of my fish from carpet surfing.

+1
Love my leopard! She is by the far the most peaceful fish in my tank, just spends the entire day hunting pods.

+2 on the mesh top. Saved a couple of my fish from carpet surfing.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm fond of the wetmorella species myself, Tanaka's are really nice. You can't go wrong with a melanurus.

Oh here's my current stock list. I know you guys have asked for colors so here are the fish and the order I added them.

2 Cinnimon Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchman
1 Fireball Angel
1 PJ Cardinal
1 Blue/Green Chromis

Currently in QT are..
1 Clown Goby
1 Convict Goby (that I think I may trade for a Neon Goby.

The last fish I want to add after the wrasse is a Squaretail Bristletooth tang. I know 56 gallons isn't a lot of space for a tang but I have a custom size tank with minimal rockwork and he will have plenty of swimming room. I also run ZEOVit so nutrients aren't an issue.

I have no experience with Cleaner Wrasse--I personally would only try them if I had a huge tang (over 300 G) with plenty of large fish.

If you want Wrasses that go after pests, you want something in the Halichoeres genus. I'm fond of H. biocellatus and H. iridis, but I think some of the other species are known to be better for pest control. Leopard Wrasses in the Macropharyngodon genus also eat pests to a smaller degree.

Thanks for everyone's advice. What about a cleaner wrasse as well?

I have had a few Blue line Cleaner wrasse . They to pick at the fish and its fun watching them come out to be cleaned. I do not think they are required.. The Tangs seem to be the only fish to give him any attention..The blue line cleaner also seems to disappear for days at a time sometimes.. People have said its common.. but twice both of mine after abut 2 years on the first one and 3 years on the second just disappeared and never returned... My assumption that is there expected life in a tank or just how long they live.

other cleaner wrasse are picky eaters and usually starve.. mine would eat anything you put in there mostly Nori ..

Back