xenia and green star polyps: bad chemistry?

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
just moved three clumps of xenia onto a coral branch, and one clump is doing great. Two others, lower down are closed up and shrunken. They are in the vicinity of green star polyps. I did notice when I bothered the gsp, and they closed up, the bottom two xenia clumps seemed to react in sympathy.

Should the xenia be in a different neighborhood?

Also, any notes on encouraging gsp growth would be welcome. It's growing, but not as fast as I'd been led to believe.

GSP need a lot of flow and light to thrive(emphasis on flow). I currently have my colony under thier own maxijet 1200, about 12 -14 inches from the pump. This does make them sway to the point that they dont stand on end. Some people think this is too much, but even my kids have seen a much faster rate of growth than I have had in the past with only med flow. I have also considered putting them higher towards the light and I may still do it, but for now, they are on the bottom of the 125G and are doing fine.

As to the problem with the Xenia vs. GSP, in the long run,
I would be more concerned about the xenia giving negative effects to the GSP, not the other way around. This is even a long shot. GSP are some of the toughest softies around. Hope this helps :)

Thanks a lot---I know a lot more about the stonies than about the softies, and really like the brightness under actinic of the gsp, but I think I have had it in too calm an area. I've just rearranged it to get into the stream of a Sea Swirl, and that should help, indeed. I'll keep trying to figure on the miffed xenia. It could be the proximity to the pearl bubble: out of range of its sweepers, but it could be breathing on it.

I agree with increasing the flow for the gsp, I have mine on bottom of a 75 under MH light 20, and they are growing up on neighboring rock. They are in multi directional flow that is significant, so they really sway.

Back