Xenia Dieing!

MAreefer1

My water params are all good...my temp is 82.3 and my SG is 1.0243

My xenia is receeading into the stalk and wont open up...its in a 20 gallon tall about 6 in. from the light (prop tank)...its got moderate to high flow...I moved from my ten gallon(which had a big leak) about a week or two ago, but now the fingers on the individual arms are starting to dissapear and the arms are shrivveling up and staying close to the stalk...but there are still alot of the arms still out with all the fingers but still partialy closed :( ...what could be happening to my xenia...is it too close to the light? does it need less flow? could the change from tank to tank still be affacting it? any other possabilities?

Input would be much appreciatted I have about 10 stalks of it and I dont want to loose it:/

Hard to say. Xenia has been known to mysteriously crash in tanks where it has been kept successfully for years. That said, the first thing I'd do is watch closely for awhile to make sure that nothing in your tank is nipping at/bothering the xenia.
Secondly, exactly how much light do you have? IME, xenia likes light, but it may not like being suddenly blasted with a zillion watts.
Do you run a lot of carbon in this tank? Is the water super-clean? Xenia like nutrient rich water.
HTH,
Mariner

I use Iodine triweekly...and calcium biweekly...The xenia is 6 in from 80 watt PC 50/50 (10k/atinic) and actually I have seen my striped damsel take a few nips at it...could this be the reason why there closing up so much?my damsel is about 2 in. and its a male with two little lady freinds who like to hae a good time(if ya know what I mean?) so he is always moving things around in the tank and protecting the females...

what should I do to stop this...I have no other tank to put him in... he was in a ten gallon a few weeks ago (but that had a major leek). what can I do to stop him from biting at the xenia?

nope...the 20 has already been established for 5 months now(with the same brand and grain size of the crushed coral in my 10)...why? could that be another reason that the coral is ill?

I lost my Zenia when I upgraded to 65g, it just melted, someone told me that using the old sand could have done it.

Back