XM 10k or Radium 20k For Shallow Reef???

Couldn't hurt to try out the 10k. Like I said I love the color. Once you see it you'll either love it or hate it. I happen to really enjoy those real shallow natural reef dive pics and would be happy for my tank to look like that.

So, I got off the phone with a BRS expert and was asking him about it. He basically said that while the 10k might give slightly better growth to some acropora species the difference isn't that significant that its worth going with the uglier, more yellow XM 10k over the radium. And he said, which obviously makes sense, good husbandry and stable parameters will make the corals grow most! And while I like the shallow reef look I feel like the 10k bulbs for whatever reason don't look the same (obviously because its not the sun) in the ocean and the 10k XM seems to make everything really dull. So I may just get another radium...

Thanks to everyone for all the input, I'm a broke college student so I make sure to do my research before making an expensive/long term purchase haha

Last edited:
Well, one man's "ugly yellow" 10K is another man's "bright white" 10K, just as one man's "slightly blue" 20K is another man's "windex blue" 20K, so beauty really is in the eye of the beholder with lighting preferences...

Either way good luck with your choice, and a different look is just a bulb change away... :)

Agree. The 10k subdued colors a little too much with no supplementation but I absolutely LOVED the look of 2x250watt xm10k with a buildmyled super actinic strip. I wish I could recreate that look with LEDs and get the same growth benefits but to get that look you have to turn the blues too low and it introduces too much red and everything gets mad

So I just found this link...http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/jb/index.php

If you look the 10k reeflux on electronic ballast is not too much different in par than the 20k radium. However XM 10k blows them away! Do you guys find that corals grow significantly faster under the 10K? I just feel like my coral growth is very slow under the radiums

I am a long term (years) 400w XM10K and 400w Radium user. Based on my experience, the XM grow corals twice as fast as Radium. In fact, I often run Radiums when I want to slow down growth. When I hear hobbyist talk about excellent growth rates from Radiums, I often say to myself, if only they were to experience the XM10k.

In three years time I can grow an one inch mille frag into a large dinner plate with XM10.

Pick one, color or growth? One cannot have both without supplementation.

I had success running two 400w Radiums and two 400w Iwasaki over a 180g SPS. Extreme growth and color. I define extreme growth by noticing or measuring growth on a weekly basis. With Radiums, growth is generally measured by comparing monthly images.

Well it's official then...XM 10k here I come! I like to mix things up anyways so I'll place my order and upload some photos once I get the bulb!

Also, what do you guys recommend for supplementation LED or t5 HO. I currently have two fixtures with kz super blues in them lying around that I could use. I'm just not sure yet how I would attach them. Or should I go with an led strip light and mount it on the tank?

I vote t5ho having used both led and t5. T5 have given me better fill/coverage/spectrum/coral color

If you do go with LED supplements, ReefBrites or BuildMyLED strips are basically the best/ only options - I prefer the BML strips, but both work well enough...

I think I'll try and save money by using my t5s. How do you guys incorporate them? And do you use reflectors with them?

I'd never bother with t5ho without using reflectors. They're a cheap addition anyway

Got the XM!!

Got the XM!!

So for those of you who helped convince me to get the XM 10k.......THANK YOU!!! I LOVE IT!! IT LOOKS EXACTLY HOW I WANTED MY SHALLOW REEF TO LOOK!! NOT TOO YELLOW AT ALL (for me at least)!

And of course a photo...

FullSizeRender.jpg

So for those of you who helped convince me to get the XM 10k.......THANK YOU!!! I LOVE IT!! IT LOOKS EXACTLY HOW I WANTED MY SHALLOW REEF TO LOOK!! NOT TOO YELLOW AT ALL (for me at least)!

And of course a photo...

View attachment 335659

The XMs may get a little more white after two weeks of use. Looks good and the corals will thrive. Keep an eye on alk consumption.

Thanks! And I will! I just ordered the jebao dosing pump and just bought ESV two part so I'll be ready to go!

Back