XM 10k or Radium 20k For Shallow Reef???

shortcake

So I currently have a 25 gallon IM Lagoon Tank and I am doing my best to try and replicate a shallow reef in the ocean. And from what I have read 10k is the closest to the sun and gives you the most accurate color in terms of how an actual shallow reef would look. I also heard it gives you the best growth! I am currently running a radium bulb and I like the color but growth is very slow and I feel like a shallow reef is not actually that blue. What do you guys think I should get to replace my bulb? Also, I'm running a 250w Vertex electronic ballast with a Luminarc III reflector (SE). Here's what I am going for...

Beautiful-Coral-Reef-Wallpaper.jpg

coral reef light.jpg

Also here are tanks running 10K bulbs...

this one is 3, 400w XM 10K supplemented with 2 54w ATI Blue Plus bulbs

DSC_0010a.jpg

And this tank is running only 400w 10K evc bulbs...

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 9.19.00 PM.jpg

I've always liked the XM bulbs, you may want to try out a 10K one and see how you feel about it. Most people have different tastes when it comes to white/blue of the tank and it seems your wanting more white then blue. You can always add some actinic supplementation later on if want with either T5 or LED.

thanks for the response. And I'm thinking about just pulling the trigger on the XM 10k's. I do have two KZ superblues lying around so I might try and incorporate those. The only issue is hanging them. I'm currently running just the halide on light hanger I made using electric conduit. So I'd have to find a way to attach the T5 fixtures either by mounting them to the luminarc reflector or hanging them in front/back. They are single t5 fixtures that have a daisy chain to connect them.

Black Friday sales and discounts may help you out! :bounce3:

May not even need the T5's afterall, but at least you already have them laying around just in case.

that's true! How would you recommend supplementing? The other option I thought about was buying an LED strip bar and mounting it on the tank. I like a clean setup so I'm trying to avoid as much obstruction as possible, Here's my current setup...

FullSizeRender-8.jpg

My goal with the tank is to emulate a real shallow reef as close as possible. I'm just concerned the XM's might be too yellow...

I see what your saying. Well I think I'll just go with the the XM only and see how it looks for about a week and then see about adding supplements. I'm just really not looking to pay 450 for another fixture, so I'll have to find another solution. And thanks!!

Sounds like you may want to change to a 12K XB BML led fixture? With the energy savings the light would pay for itself in two years. I use MH on my 300, but on my smaller tanks I am a big Build My Led User. If you are worried about the coverage go with two fixtures.

Attachments

• 20 gal 12k bml 2-15.jpg
    20 gal 12k bml 2-15.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Zoo 10-28.jpg
    Zoo 10-28.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
I like the cost savings (obviously haha) with Leds but I'm still a bigger fan of halides. I like the shimmer and to me its about as close to having the sun over your tank as you can get. I'm also just not a big fan of how blue the LED's are. I've seen many led tanks and they always are very blue, which I'm just not a fan of. And also I'm just not looking to blow more money on fixture right now. I'm about to buy a used mp10 and I still have to get a skimmer (I've only been doing more frequent water changes) and a cooling fan. So i've got some big expenses coming up haha

So, I think I decided I am going to go with the reeflux 10k bulb. It has good spectrum and is not quite as yellow as the xm, which is what I am looking for! I have seen people run them without any supplements and imo it looks pretty good! Just like a shallow reef should look. I also just bought an mp10 so this tank is getting quite the hook up:p

So, I think I decided I am going to go with the reeflux 10k bulb. It has good spectrum and is not quite as yellow as the xm, which is what I am looking for! I have seen people run them without any supplements and imo it looks pretty good! Just like a shallow reef should look. I also just bought an mp10 so this tank is getting quite the hook up:p

reeflux lamps work great with electronic ballast, and you should check out the great deals BRS has on Tunze pumps

awesome! I'll have to check it out! I'll post some pictures once I install it. Also should I acclimate the corals to the new light? Or would it be ok to just switch the bulbs out and let things be?

I'll have to try that, I think I'll buy an egg crate and go with that on top of the tank. I'll try and post some photos when I have it all set up!

XM 10k or Radium 20k For Shallow Reef???

I didn't enjoy my 10K XM's that much, growth was OK and they crapped out pretty quick bringing GHA in my tank.

In 15 years of MH my all time favorite bulbs have been those 14k plusrites from 1000lights/ebay

Amazing growth and color actually lasted long then ushios or XM and not that blue, still needed my actinic VHO's.

Just ordered some 20k for the first time to give it a whirl.

Both bulbs have been proven to grow acropora incredibly fast and with great colors. You literally cannot go wrong it's just about color preference. My favorite look on a reef tank is xm10k halides with lots of blue led supplements (or maybe blue+ t5ho, but haven't tried that combo). It's alot like the pics posted above. Bright bold colors. The radiums work well too though and you'll get comparable results

I would say if everything else is perfect, and your acros are healthy happy and pest free, once they've acclimated to the 10k lighting they'll probably grow faster than under radiums, all other factors equal. But there will be an acclimation period to the higher par and completely different spectrum.

I had a bit of a challenge acclimating corals to the 10k light due to the fact that so many hobbyists and vendors are using blue heavy led layouts. I lost a few pieces from the drastic change in par and spectrum combined with tank environment change. Just something to keep in mind. That could have been my own inadequacy as a reefer though

Here is my photo of my tank as is under the old radiums, no editing, straight for the iPhone. I love the color but the growth is just not there...:headwallblue:

IMG_0480.jpg

Back