Year long struggle with dinoflagellates.

I believe replacing beneficial bacteria is very important, one note I would suggest is running a week of peroxide dosing with rock basting and reduced lights, once it starts looking like you have the upper hand then stop the peroxide dosing and introduce your good bacteria. I think floating in the water column most of the new bacteria would be neurtralized by the peroxide before it has a chance to find the live rock and really settle, while also contributing to more slough that has to be removed by skimmer or mechanical filtration. Just my .02$

Peroxide dosing has little effect on bacteria. Dino are not bacteria like Cyano

*** hotelbravo is correct, my post is wrong and should be ignored regarding H202 affecting bacteria

Using pure actinics have helped slow the dino growth dramatically, but they still grow back (albeit at a much, much slower rate. They covered an area in a week that would have taken them mere hours before) I'm thinking of dosing microbacter 7 now.

Dino x worked for me.. Tired every methods possible, with no luck.. dino x was my last resort before I was gonna tear down my tank due to months of dino.. Lost some sensitive sps and fish, but I managed to save 80% of livestock and been dino free for months

Using reduced actinics, the dinos seem to have vanished. I'm far too afraid to go back to my light cycle, no matter how slowly. I'm afraid they're going to be dormant forever and wait for the perfect moment to come back to bite me in the rear again. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't know for sure. I might have a several day blackout and continue running actinics reduced for a week or 2 afterwards just to be sure. Thanks for all your help. I'm pretty sure the beast is just recuperating and hidden, but I think it can be dealt with now. You have no idea how good it feels to have any progress nonetheless. Taking down my tank and everything else did nothing.

Knock on wood, but I think they're dead, or at least no longer dominant in my system. The green algae that used to grow on my rocks and glass returned, and I haven't even seen a small patch of dinos on my sand or rocks. I'm still going to remain cautious, but the method involving the use of only actinics was genius! Thank all of you so much. I'll be on high alert for at least a few weeks, and if I'm lucky my plague may have finally faded away! You have no idea how long I've been frustrated over this.

Glad to hear of your success! Way to hang in there and figure it out! Your story is encouraging. It's nice to see this type of thread have a happy ending!

They're back. After I readjusted my lights to around the 15,000k range, the dinos returned after a month or so. Back to square one.

Not sure how most people feel about this but I was struggling with a brown, what I assume were dinoflagellates, for many months. I recently added a UV sterilizer to my sump and have it running 24/7. Now when I suck up the algae with weekly water changes it doesn't grow back. I think a lot of the Dino was getting into my water column when I was cleaning and settled on every surface, hence why I could never get rid of it.

Now my tank is much better and macro algae is taking the opportunity to grow since the Dino's are no longer stripping my water of all nutrients. I'm hoping the macro algae will now outcompete and put an end to my Dino problem once and for all.

Only side effect is most of my filter feeding worms have died, guess the UV sterilizer killed the food they filtered from the water column

Back