Yellow and Green gobies

bpeugh

Now I have read in many places that if you have more than one green or yellow goby in a tank they will fight. Since I have not been able to get any other of the clown species in in this area I am think I might have to double up to get a few more fish in the tank. I did have two yellow in there at one time and the bigger picked on the smaller but I think that may have just been his character trait because when I moved him to another tank he picked on a 2" false percula until he got batted down. What are people's experiences?

"Another interesting and uncommon trait has been uncovered and described. Nakashima et al., (1996), have described a two-way sex change, known as bi-directional sex change, within two Gobiodon species, G. micropus and G. oculolineatus. This led to the discovery that other Gobiodon also have this ability, and it is now believed that all Gobiodon species can change sex. In doing so, Gobiodon deviates from the size-advantage model (Ghiselin 1969) that states if an individual could significantly increase its chance of reproduction success after a certain size was reached, it would change to that sex. Instead, bi-directional protogynous hermaphrodites are the ultimate in sex-changing species, as it guarantees a heterosexual pair at any given time. In most cases, the smaller fish of the heterosexual pair is the female. The only time this is not true is when a small male is placed in the same coral head as a large female. It was found that in pairs which started as two females, the larger of the two became male. In pairs that started as two males, the smaller of the two changed to female (Munday et al. 1998)."

Taken from http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/hcs3/index.php

HTH

You know, I have read that a few times but everything I read otherwise keeps saying they will fight. But I trust the article so I am going to order some more then. I have one in my tank that I can not identify. It is not a green or brown but appears to be mostly clear. I would love to get a brown or black or citrinus but it just isn't happening yet this season.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11625387#post11625387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bpeugh
You know, I have read that a few times but everything I read otherwise keeps saying they will fight.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't switch from a male to a female without putting up a fight ;)

Back