Yellow Hawkfish

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
So, the lock screen on my computer at work is currently a Yellow Hawkfish with some Basket Stars in the background. In all my years in the Hobby, I've never seen this species of Hawkfish. It's really cool. Just thought I'd share.

1709918751086.png

Not too many places seem to have them - mainly here - Yellow Hawkfish

Ouch on the wallet though.
Yeah, I searched for them for sale. While I think it's an awesome looking fish, no way would I pay that much. If I was looking to drop that much on one livestock item, it would have to be one of those crazy expensive Acros.

Could always See if @Dr. Reef could get one. If he could get a price for you first.
As much as I like Hawkfish, I likely won't add one as I really like to have various shrimp species in the tank. I've been looking at anemone shrimp lately and I know they won't last long with a Hawk ;)

1709963500539.png

Thats the closest I found, not the same thing you posted. These guys are expensive.

Depending…even more of an ouch on the wallet. His price may be different

Depending…even more of an ouch on the wallet. His price may be different

😳 I’ll pass.

lol yes I would not spend $500 on a fish
Also these types of hawks are known for bacterial infections. so antibiotic treatment is a must.

I found the fish OP posted and are in same price range except that its not a common one so acquiring is hard.

one OP posted is Paracirrhites xanthus
the yellow @spotfin posted is Cirrhitichthys aureus
Thanks for the correction. I’m more an Acropora/Ricordea person than fish. Although, I’m pretty good with Atlantic/Caribbean fish since I’ve been diving since the 80’s.

Thanks for the correction. I’m more an Acropora/Ricordea person than fish. Although, I’m pretty good with Atlantic/Caribbean fish since I’ve been diving since the 80’s.
No worries. There are so many names, sometimes same fish is known by 3 or 4 names. Thats why since I got into business I always check the scientific name, they never changes.

Back