Yellow head jawfish spawning

I looked into it and I couldn't find any good information on why they swallow the eggs. Some people suggested the fish felt intimidated. In fact there is a public aquarium somewhere where a guy got a jawfish to breed regularly on display by attaching something to the glass so that it worked like a one-way window i guess. "So that people could see in but the fish couldn't see the people" the article said.

I guess you could try putting a sheet on the tank so you don't disturb him? Haha this is a crazy idea but if you're feeling crazy [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so on the topic of male eating eggs. Last 3 batches, he ate them on day 2. :-(
I'd been trying feeding unusually high amounts of food to get him fat enough he wouldn't be tempted to eat the eggs, but it was precisely while feeding the tank on day 2 that he'd swallow the eggs. So maybe something about the constant rain of food was encouraging him to swallow eggs. I dunno.
Anyway, so now I'm trying much less food.
Fed tank on day 1. He's never had a problem stashing eggs and eating on day 1. Then no food on days 2 & 3. Fed on day 4, and he stashed the eggs and ate without problems. No food day 5 today. I'll try to feed tomorrow on day 6, and then no food till hatches on day 7.
Anyway, very scarce feedings is working much better at the moment than the heavy feedings did.
Maybe in nature he would typically not eat all that much for the 7 days.

Interesting! I just got my mated pair so I'm even more excited to follow along. Keep us posted on the hatching! Fingers crossed

Stupid fish swallowed eggs on day 6 just before I was about to feed the tank.
I'll try again with scarce feeding. 6 days is a lot closer to hatch than 2 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If anyone is interested in thinking about breeding stuff, and wants some starter cultures - check my thread out. If you are within my 1 day UPS ground shipping zone, I'll gladly hook you up.

I have fishies hatching tonight! First time the make has made it full 7 days since the very beginning.
Maybe I'll get lucky and manage to collect a few.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Very few hatched, of those some abnormalities, those that seemed normal last one made it to 48hr only.
Sounds like diet during egg development may have been lacking
Oh, and my parvocalanus pods got contaminated and overrun by tisbe.
Got a lot to figure out. Maybe shoulda started with clownfish? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exciting except for the premature death part. Hopefully the next round is better

Yes, I know this thread is almost three years old, but learned a lot from reading it and was hoping I could bring it back to life. I have a pair of pearly jawfish and in the past few weeks I've seen the male with eggs in his mouth a few times. I would love to attempt to capture a few of the fry and I do realize the chances are slim of keeping any alive, but I've successfully raised seahorse fry and clownfish fry to adulthood so I do love a challenge.

My first learning curve will be how to capture the fry: do the eggs hatch at first light of day or at night? I don't remember the details of why I did it but I had blacked out all the sides of my clownfish tank when I knew the eggs were about to hatch.

I purchased a Vossen fry catcher and it apparently works on a battery-operated LED light to lure in the fry, but I can't leave it on all night - the battery won't last that long. Do I black out the tank and then add some light to encourage hatching?

Also, the two batches of eggs I've seen in his mouth have never had eyes so I'm not even sure they are fertile, but I do see the male and female locking their jaws together a lot so I assumed that was the transfer of eggs?

Anyway, if anyone is out there that still reads this thread and can jump in and offer any tips, I'd appreciate it.
Sue

Back