Yellow tang with bulging eye, tell me if I am am approaching correctly? (pictures)

Well Paul B. I do see you posting all over everybodies posts. This has just started over the last couple days but was the worst I had seen it last night. I will hold off for a couple more days and see what it does.

Would it be in my best interest to get some Prime and use that daily and then do water changes every other day?

Well Paul B. I do see you posting all over everybodies posts.
Yes sorry about that, I am a busybody and I am retired so I have some time to annoy people. :spin1:
Most people just think I am nuts.:hmm3:

I don't think adding Prime will hurt but Pop Eye comes from fluid or gas behind the eye, the cause is not really known (although there are many theories) but if you look at the skeleton of a fish you will see a smooth curved indentation where the eye fits and one little hole in the rear for the optic nerve. That area behind the eye does not get any blood flow and an antibiotic will not get there.
My fish have gotten it after they were in my tank for many years or just introduced, it is relatively common and in most, but not all cases it clears up on it's own.
I have cured it probably fifty times in my tank and wholesalers tanks. But I use a hypodermic needle if I need to cure it right away.
My last moorish Idol got it after a few years and my tank is not dirty.
I usually just stick a hypodermic needle in the stretched skin between the eye and the scales, not in the eye itself. This membrane is very stretched and thin in a fish with pop eye.
Then I pull back the plunger and the eye immediately goes back into place, no muss no fuss and I never lost a patient. Sometimes I inject an antibiotic in that space after I suck out the fluid.
But in your case, I would just wait a few days and see if it abates on it's own.
I know people get squimish over healing their fish.

Alright, well I will get some prime just to dose a little in the QT wile I wait for the sponge in the sump of my DT to seed with some bacteria. I will the read more on the subject and not do anything but monitor for a few more days.

Paul B, no you are not nuts just passionate about the hobby. In 70 years when I will be able to retire (I am 26 now) I am sure I will be doing the same thing. :)

It looks like it is only in on eye. Normally this is due to a mechanical injury. I would treat with Epsom salt in the display at a dose of 1tbs per 10 gallons with a water change on day 3. It should clear on its ow.

Well looks like things have been getting better for the tang. All I have done is continue with feeding, water changes and add a little bit of prime to the tank daily. The fish never lost its apetite during the whole thing. Was planning on putting it in the DT after 4to weeks in QT so that would be in 2my more weeks. Should I wait longer due to this injury or will it be fine? I only have 2those small clowns and some snails in the DT.

Back