your oldest coral?

Reef Bass

colors and textures
Of the corals in your tank now, which one have you had the longest and what is it?

Of all the corals you've ever had, which did you have the longest and what is / was it?

Do those answers surprise you? Are they the same type of coral as your favorite?

For me, it's two montis. My undata and Lakers monti are the two oldest for both now and ever. I picked them up on the same rock from ex-pres Mikey 6 years ago this summer. And yes, in that time, I've nearly killed them both more than once.

While it's tough to pick a favorite coral, in general, acros get me going the most. Montis are sort of easier flat acros, so it's not too surprising that those are my oldest.

What are yours?

I'll play!

Good thread, BTW.

Since my tank as only been up for a bit more than a year, the oldest actually in the tank, a Duncan and a candycane are just more than a year old!

At this point my favorites are anything that doesn't die! At the top of that list is an M. undata. It's been thru a lot and not only survived but is thriving!

Right now my oldest coral is an elegance coral that is almost 4 years old and it is getting huge! It is one of my favorites because it is so large and getting old. It is usually the first thing people notice in my tank.

My current favorite coral is an orange setosa I have that is around a year old. I got it as a small frag that didn't look great. Now it is growing at a good rate and has great color. It has an interesting growth pattern that I really like.

Though it barely survived my tank's meltdown, I still have some branching hammer coral came with the Eclipse6 I bought at Caeser's as my very first saltwater tank in December of 2003.

Prior to my tank's meltdown, I had grown a 1" frag of green pocillopora I bought from Steve Ruddy at one of the club's very earliest meetings (so... 2004? early 2005?) into an almost basketball-sized colony. Sadly, it is now gone... though I am hopeful that some of the tiniest specks of green I see on some of the rocks in back/bottom of my tank may be descendants that will eventually grow back (it spread like that often in my tank when the tank was healthy).

Great idea for a thread... once the survivors in my tank are showing signs of growing again (never did figure out what caused the die-off, but at least the stuff that's left seems to be doing better), I plan on slowly restocking it with a plan to start small with all small frags and let them gradually fill the space again... so ask this question again in ten years :)

Last edited:
Of the corals in your tank now, which one have you had the longest and what is it?

Porites lobata since 5 27-95

Of all the corals you've ever had, which did you have the longest and what is / was it?

mmm probably blue striped Discosoma sp. and or Sarcophyton sp.

Do those answers surprise you? Are they the same type of coral as your favorite?

No and I think the Porites lobata is still my favorite because I got it diving on my honeymoon. The blue stripe mushrooms really work for me as well! I think they are gorgeous.

While it's tough to pick a favorite coral,

What are yours?

Right now I am really drawn to Acanthatsrea sp. , Favia sp. and Scolymia sp. but I like most anything! :p

My Porites at about 9 years old. It was about as big as the left lobe when I took it from the ocean.

121-2181_IMG.jpg

_Z8A7564-Edit-2.jpg

My undata and Lakers monti are the two oldest for both now and ever. I picked them up on the same rock from ex-pres Mikey 6 years ago this summer. And yes, in that time, I've nearly killed them both more than once.

Crap I loved my Undata as well. I just lost the last spec just before I got a renewed interest.

Prior to my tank's meltdown, I had grown a 1" frag of green pocillopora I bought from Steve Ruddy at one of the club's very earliest meetings (so... 2004? early 2005?) into an almost basketball-sized colony. Sadly, it is now gone... though I am hopeful that some of the tiniest specks of green I see on some of the rocks in back/bottom of my tank may be descendants that will eventually grow back (it spread like that often in my tank when the tank was healthy).

I remember that coral! I hope some regenerates for you. It's is pretty darn hardy.

Back