Your thoughts

danieljames

What are your thoughts on sting ray exhibits...the types were children can "pet" the animals. They have one here in the nashville area, and was just curious if there is a "majority" consensus on if this is an acceptable way to keep these animals.

Depending on the habitat, I think that these displays can be semi-beneficial. Some ray habitats I've seen are only so-so - bare bottomed, unnatural colors...probably not what stingrays would prefer. Others have had sandy bottoms and a more natural look that is more like their natural environments. I'm pretty sure stingrays would be more comfortable in a habitat like that.

As far as putting stress on the animals, I don't think it's TOO much of a problem, as long as the rays have a way to escape the people touching them. I don't totally agree with the petting marine animals displays, but kids (and adults) can learn a lot from these type of exhibits if they are done in the right way.

We are way too attached to "petting" things. People need to get over their reaction of wanting to touch and pet everything just because they have a furry pet at home. I still dont get this phenomenon, I have never had the urge to pet a fish.

You could also ask if swimming with manta rays is acceptable? (The idea of whether or not I can ride it, comes to mine.)

I don't see anything wrong with it s'long as it isn't detrimental to the sting ray. Although I do think they shouldn't remove the stinger. That'd make the petting tank a lil' more interesting.

I've been to sand bars in the open ocean where sting rays will come up to you and eat (squid) from your hand. As long as the animals are well cared for I can't see a problem with the display tanks.

Same here I mean we have people who keep aquariums in less than addequate housing. I think the people that maintain them at least have a certain love of the animals.

Animals belong in their natural habitat. That's why I never go to zoo's. It's a catch-22 though. Without these displays, humans remain ignorant that there is other life out there, which only assists in the the mass destruction of animal habitat.

I've seen a lot of kids, and adults, gain a love and respect for marine life due to exposure to rays and other creatures in touch tanks. It's something they wouldn't have had otherwise in most cases. Often it's been said that we only protect what we know and care about. As for the individual animals, if other aquariums do like the one local to me, the animals are well cared for. In the case of the rays, the exhibit is large enough for the rays to stay far away from people if they want. The stingers are clipped, and grow back regularly. It's like clipping your finger nails ;)

Back