Zachtos 300G SPS reef build (Wisconsin)

Thanks for the details! I'll take a look at your other thread tonight. I'm curious if the heat issue for the rest of the house would be better if it returned to the cold or into the bottom. Honestly I don't know enough about hot water heaters to know. That said my system will have a controller watching temps, would it be as simple as just telling it not to run between certain times? Anyway thanks for the info!

Thanks for the details! I'll take a look at your other thread tonight. I'm curious if the heat issue for the rest of the house would be better if it returned to the cold or into the bottom. Honestly I don't know enough about hot water heaters to know. That said my system will have a controller watching temps, would it be as simple as just telling it not to run between certain times? Anyway thanks for the info!

Yes, you could put a wall timer on the pump if you want to block access during morning shower, should not be much drop in temperature for a few hours a day denial. Could even make electric take place if you wanted, but eliminates the purpose for me, keeping EL load down.

enjoying watching another Wisconsin build. also think the new laser tag gear looks like a cool training item for small group tactics training. it would be more realistic than paintball and a lot neater.

Oddly enough lasers while fine do not have noise nor does it have an impact. Not like a slug to a vest but it is something that you will still feel which could distract. Not a fan. Sort of like that gas mask test, right? Oder passing under vs. actual tear gas or pepper spray.

Regardless, looks great :)

Yes, you could put a wall timer on the pump if you want to block access during morning shower, should not be much drop in temperature for a few hours a day denial. Could even make electric take place if you wanted, but eliminates the purpose for me, keeping EL load down.

That is my thought as well. I've got a couple of massive heaters for the system I'm setting up but for the cost to run them I'm thinking gas as well. For the couple hours a day it wouldn't run I'm not worried about my volume dropping too much. Anyway, thanks again! I don't want to derail your post too much lol

You know I have a tank of corals for you to pick from when your ready.

Did you put a selnoid valve on your hot water loop?

Last edited:
You know I have a tank of corals for you to pick from when your ready.

Did you put a selnoid valve on your hot water loop?

No solenoid valve again, it works pretty good, heated my water change unheated water to 80F in 20 minutes.

I will definitely take you up on the coral offer. I am not impressed with the upcoming swaps in WI yet compared to MI. I am seeking out some of my old 'must have' corals again:
  1. Palmer Blue Millipora
  2. ORA red planet
  3. Peach/Green millipora
  4. rose milli
  5. ORA blue millipora
  6. Red/Green/Purple montipora
  7. Pink lemonade
  8. yellow humilis

I could trade you back 9 rose bubble tips if you wish to try and sell them, otherwise I can try my LFS. Not sure if I can find a safe way to keep anemone in the SPS tank honestly, high flow, barebottom, super high light, but the wave maker is nice.

I am also debating what type of coral for the bottom of the bare HDPE tank. Maybe a green star polyp carpet would be funny with the wave maker, but not sure it would grow flat. Otherwise I loved the Copps reef ricordia carpet. I can't have zoas and most LPS because of angels. Avoiding mushrooms like plague this time (not that hairy green shrooms were ever on purpose).

decided my tunze wavemakers were ugly, now they are pretty.

Yes, lights are on, forgot to take a good front photo. The phone camera is crap for this light, need to get out my SLR for this heavy blue LED, it does not look that blue at all! You can see I covered my wavemakers in foam/rock.

Side view, you can see the rock covered wavemakers.

This is how I hung my lights, thought it was worth a share. Layed plastic wrap right on the water, like a water bed. Then made cardboard cut outs of the lights with markings for the mount screw to ceiling. Then I shuffled the lights around until happy with the layout. Then hung a screw from fishing line and marked the dot on the ceiling for each spot. Was very easy and fast. No re-drilling or rails to make adjustments needed.

Rapid LED Corona lights are up. I got lazy and gave up on a rail system after I saw the lights, so small, not really a need to move them out of way, so I just tossed up another piece of drywall/paint and some anchors. Did have to RMA one light, and had a problem logging in, but good enough, and half the price of other units. WAY WAY better than DIY, what a pain in the *** after I soldered 2 RED LED together, not worth the extra savings (only would have saved $300-$400 DIY total on 240qty LEDs, but no warranty, no app, no resale, and ugly wires).

I did eary measurements of PAR (was VERY high, like 150 on sandbed, and 400 to 900 PAR on rockwork on mid/back wall). I should spend time lifting the lights to spread better, and maybe angle them a bit toward the front bottom. I don't want any light on the front glass if I can avoid (algae), one of the benefits of directional LED.

Electrical shown for the ATS, coated the PCB with silicone conformal coating

Turf scrubber hung up.

Algae turf scrubber 3 day growth. Fallow tank, just rotting meat and anemones in the frag tank.

Test kits. I also am very glad I bought a new salinity refractometer with calibration fluid. I was WAY off on the old meter that had a rusted calibration screw (5ppt too low!) KH salifert kit got wet so no box, I like the API kit, but not sure if I will trust it this time w/ 3 part dosing.

Extra water filter RO/DI parts

Auto feeder and timer parts

QT tank light, was going to use if I need to QT any corals, but maybe just try bayer dip if it is safe, still pending research there. Corals are a few months out anyways.

I'll be interested to see how you like those Coronas... I've got the onyx and will transfer those over to my 300 (which I finally started to fill with RODI last night!!!). Having done some DIY LEDs myself, I think you made the right choice by buying a pre-built solution. It's worth it for the time savings and warranty (not to mentioned aesthetics!). Also great idea on the wave box covers! Looking really good!

I'll be interested to see how you like those Coronas... I've got the onyx ..!

Onyx DIY kit looks similar the kit I used for my turf scrubber, but with lenses. I would dread building 6 of those fixtures by hand. Maybe a 3 would be tolerable, but such a wire bundle mess. I need to get access to wire harness connectors, or they should sell them.

A few photos that are a bit more representative of the true color of the LED using the nice SLR camera. Maybe in 3-4 weeks there will be some fish in there then maybe some coral. Some more minor projects coming, and a top secret patent that I am working on.

Onyx DIY kit looks similar the kit I used for my turf scrubber, but with lenses. I would dread building 6 of those fixtures by hand. Maybe a 3 would be tolerable, but such a wire bundle mess. I need to get access to wire harness connectors, or they should sell them.

You mean to connect the units together? They do sell them. They come with the harness itself. I didn't get the DIY version though. I bought the refurbished dimmable units. Same warranty as new and they've been awesome. I love rapidled, especially for their customer service.

Are the small containers of rubble for pod production? I'm planning to do the same thing in my fuge. Also thinking of putting one in the display with fine sand... for the melanurus wrasse. Since I'll have special grade sand (larger grain) and not a ton of it, I want to give the fish a nice place to burrow (as it currently has).

Are the small containers of rubble for pod production?

Yes, actually they were temporary to help seed my tank. They were the rubble rock from my prior anemone tank, loaded with pods, but I think the ammonia in the nitrogen cycle maybe killed them all. I will remove them probably later, as I'm told my turf scrubber will help with pod population, but my backwall will be amazing for pods (they can hide all over and behind glass). MAYBE I'll put the dishes in the sump near the turf scrubber, see if they get pod loaded, then on vacations, move them up to the display as natural feeding (stuff a piece of rotting meat in the pile), but I think with angels they will dig it all up.

I probably won't do wrasse anymore except maybe try a harlequin tusk, the lack of a sandbed, and I don't want a mess of sand in a tray in there either. I'm starting to lean towards only big fish (angels, tangs, butterflies, rabbit fish), and maybe a 'school' of 10+ royal gramma as an experiment. Maybe a single cleaner wrasse.

Current QT Plan:
*sponge filters x 2 w/ air pumps, powerhead, temp controller, PVC parts, and 'stability' bacteria added every day week#1
-formalin dip
-1 day of observation/adjustment
-2 weeks of cupramine and prazipro x1 treatment
-50% WC and carbon 1 day - 'stability bacteria' add
-1 week of prazipro
-1 final week of observation and possible maracyn 2 (bacteria) if needed

I'm also already changing my mind on some things, chlorique phosphate (sp.) is another option vs. cupramine, but not researched enough yet.
Probably changing my mind on fish stocking already, giving up on small fish all together (partly because of budget loss)
-regal angel x 1
-lamaracks angel x1
-flame dwarf angel x1
-pygmy or potter dwarf angel x1
-coral beauty dwarf angel x 4
-pyramid butterfly fish x 4-6 (depends on cost/size)
-hippo tang x1
-powder blue tang x1
-kole tang x1
-scopas tang x1 (so majestic and beautiful... or just $20)
-foxface rabit fish x1
-harlequin tusk wrasse x1
-cleaner wrasse x1
-royal gramma x 10-12 (maybe as experiment)
*MAYBE a big angel x1 (emperor, zebra, flagfin, passer) //would be LAST and small, need SPS established first and only if tank is peaceful and not seem too crowded, which probably is w/ above. seems so empty, but I keep forgetting SPS will fill it way up over 4 years. Can always sell/trade fish if it does get too crowded.

Why not skip the cupramine and do TTM instead? Based on my readings, it seems that chemical treatment can fail due to eggs, etc. Less stressful on the fish too.

I like the fish list a lot. So many pygmy angels will look terrific. How do you aim to quell aggression among those little guys? Add them all at once? Keep in mind they may also show aggression to other species and therefore it may make sense to add them later in the progression.

I'm still debating on what kind of QT to do too...

If I do TTM though I want a new tank for each transfer... then I don't have to worry if I'm busy setting up/tearing down tanks... Just have them all up and ready. and if I leave them fallow for 90 days then I don't even need to drain the tanks ;)

I'm thinking 5 10 gallon aquariums should do it.. or is a 20L better choice? Hmm.. I don't want them to be too small... they'll have to live in them for 12 days.. I figure I'll just hit up the $1/gal sale..

I'm still debating on what kind of QT to do too...

If I do TTM though I want a new tank for each transfer... then I don't have to worry if I'm busy setting up/tearing down tanks... Just have them all up and ready. and if I leave them fallow for 90 days then I don't even need to drain the tanks ;)

I'm thinking 5 10 gallon aquariums should do it.. or is a 20L better choice? Hmm.. I don't want them to be too small... they'll have to live in them for 12 days.. I figure I'll just hit up the $1/gal sale..

You'd be fine with 10 gal tanks. The only thing you'd want to consider is how big are the fish, and how many will you have in the TTM procedure at one time.

I will be using 20 gal standard tanks for my TTM for 4 small tangs. I've already got two of them so I figured it makes sense. I think it'll be more work and money for you to have 5 tanks all ready to go, especially if you want to leave them for 90 days fallow. What would be the point? The only thing that becomes disposable is the actual salt. The rest just needs a relatively quick bleach/water cleaning and then dry. So once each 4 days you'd have to do this. I've seen a lot of people question the TTM method and I understand that many people are looking for a more efficient way... but I really don't think any changes make the technique any more efficient (and I'm always looking to improve efficiency).

because I always look for ways to save money(I do spend it if I see a good reason to).. that's a bag of salt I'd be throwing away :D

Exciting stuff, all lights up and spent a few hours perfecting placement for best spread vs. highest PAR. The compromise was 9.25" from water surface to fixture lens tip. A few inches down gives more power, but numbers start to get very patchy, especially near the top 6" and under the crossbeams. So up a bit gives better spread near the higher levels as coral grow up, and allows me to keep more coral under the cross beams and on the bottom. Mostly see 300-500 PAR everywhere in the tank, with some 600-800 PAR hot spots, and 150+ PAR along the bottom. Tons of great places for coral on the back wall and even on the tunze wavebox if I so desire.

The tupperware containers of rubble rock will come out, maybe into the sump, but so much light in there I worry about negative growth now. They are helping seed the tank with pods. I plan to cover the HDPE bottom of the tank with some kind of coral (ricordia, green star polyps, montipora) depends on if 150 PAR is enough and if angels will allow the softer corals.

This weekend got some more minor projects done. Made mesh screens for the tank to keep fish from jumping out. I should have used 1/4" instead of 1/8", it blocks about 10% of PAR on the meter, but small price to pay I guess. I have too much light anyays. I used standard screening kits from Menards, and screen from Bulk reef supply. Total project cost for 3 lids was under $75.

I also cleaned the turf scrubber for the first time. So this is about 2 weeks of growth I guess. There is really not much of a bioload on here yet either. Just a few cubes per day (or less) since I only feed the anemone tank every now and then. But the tank is just finishing up it's cycle, so I suppose this could be normal?

Sump kind of reminds me of a dance club.

I also measured the ATS flow with the screen installed. On a 20" long 1/8" gap with screen inserted into slot, it filled a 2 gallon rubbermaid (to the mark), in 20 seconds on average. So this says only 360gph, or only 18gph per inch. I'm not getting the 35gph suggesion in this case... not sure if there is a problem here or not. Perhaps the slot is closing up a bit because of the length? Or screen inserted too far? This was after a cleaning session/groove scrubbed.

I made some DIY light blockers, paint is still drying. This will be for the ATS to keep light out of the groove.

I calibrated the 3 part dosers. Now need to start 3 part solution. No rush yet, KH is still 9. Corraline is already starting to grow, just barely seeing specs all over.

I ran the DIY UPS overnight, the battery died around 8 hours, so that's 8 hour power outage protection running 114W of 2 main recirculation pumps. I figure being in the city with no major catostrophes should be fine. Otherwise a rollaway generator is the next best thing, but I could pickup one of those in the future if I'm worried. Even so, those are not auto throw over (not for low cost options), but the UPS I built does switch over alone.

I took energy readings this weekend with the watt meter (I used to perform energy audits when I worked for the utility).
Corona lights @ 100% = 110W each
return pumps x 2 = 114W total at 60% flow
MP60 x 2 = 24W @50% to 60W if full
skimmer x 54W
heater (gas, but when pump cycles) 35W
wavemaker x 2 = 60W average total
Doser, PH meter, temp probes, Ranco = 1-2W each (idle)
airpumps QT x 3 = 15W total
mag5 QT1 = 35W
maxiject1200 QT2 = 20W
maxjet400 QT3 = 7W
Frag Tank light = 67W (109W if full intensity)
QT tank light #1 = 37W
QT tank light #2/3 = 4W ea

Still no fish yet. 2 clown fish in QT from prior system and 1 last dying wrasse. Obviously was some kind of infection that I was not equipped to handle. All tanks have been running cupramine about a week now, and 2 doses of prazipro. Not sure when/if I'll release the clowns into the tank. Also no idea what I will do about buying fish. I can't decide on anything anymore.

Back