Zero Nitrates = Pastel Acros (dosing nitrates)

As a rough estimate, I put 5oz of reagent KNO3 into a 1L bottle then filled it with RO. It's around 1.5ppm increase for every 9ml in my 90 gallon... I don't remember exactly but it's easy to find if you dose 3ml, wait 20 minutes, and then test to see the change.

Thanks! I've started dosing NaNO3 to my tank tonight.

Any guidelines on the max you can raise NO3 in a 24period?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay it's time for me to start Kno3 dosing. My nitrates have become undetectable and my acros are showing poor coloration and growth. Hope this helps.
6da3ffcefdef139cc8a7906a4da46a72.jpg

So glad this thread got a bump. Placed my order and will begin once it comes in. I'll be sure to take some before and after pics

I am having quite a bit of stn, so I'm a little noided.. But I've done all I can, and this is where I am at..
Do you have stn on new additions or older?

I usually have difficulty when they are first intruded, but think i had a number of things not going in my favor. Too strong dip with bayer, to not acclimating to my leds, to too much flow. I discovered that flow was a huge aspect to frags added to one particular place on my rock.
Changed that up finally

We'll see how dosing nitrates go!

Great thread, I've been dosing it for a few weeks now and have certianly noticed a big difference in color.

One note, I did get a big case of RTN on sps when I first tried it about a year ago because I dosed too much, I assume I had high P04 and stripped it overnight stressing the corals.

I've also read that guys were still getting zero N03 after dosing for days/weeks. It seems to me that you shouldn't be looking for results via test kits, watch your tank for results and use the test kits to ensure you're not going over tolerance (above 5 to 10ppm in my opinion).

Also, after a time it seems that much like carbon dosing, you'll find that you need a higher dose initially and once you start building up to a healthy level of N03 you'll want to cut the dose down (possibly in half) to maintain levels

Definitely go slow. When I first started dosing I nearly nuked the tank with the instructions I left while I was away. Fast spike in nitrate killed 85% of my corals.

It was the speed of the change that did it as my nitrates had previously been 5x higher without issue.

Its been about 6 weeks since then. As I get P04 under control from the die off, I have been dosing nitrates to keep them between 1-5ppm. Corals are coloured nicely and showing signs of growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Updates

Updates

Just reading this for the first time and was about to try dosing nitrate since I am at 0 with a Salifert kit and having pale coloration in my sps. Also has anyone with zoas seen any change in them? I have a few colonies which began struggling right about the time the sps lost color.

Would be good to hear from those that started dosing back when this thread was new.

My parameters on my 150 g with 29 g sump with cheto: alk 10.56 cal 485 mag 1395 salinity 1.026

Just reading this for the first time and was about to try dosing nitrate since I am at 0 with a Salifert kit and having pale coloration in my sps. Also has anyone with zoas seen any change in them? I have a few colonies which began struggling right about the time the sps lost color.

Would be good to hear from those that started dosing back when this thread was new.

My parameters on my 150 g with 29 g sump with cheto: alk 10.56 cal 485 mag 1395 salinity 1.026

Tried three times and all three led to lost of coral. Seems that for some tanks like mine, it brings phosphate down to dangerous levels.

Tried three times and all three led to lost of coral. Seems that for some tanks like mine, it brings phosphate down to dangerous levels.

Thanks for the response. My phosphates are already low .05 last check a few days ago but most of the time at 0 with a Hanna tester.

I had the same issue. At first very positive results but eventually RTN. Same thing after a couple of tries.

So my solution to pale colors was to stop weekly water changes, only run filter socks on the weekends and let my water dirty up some. That did the trick for me

If u want to raise nitrate naturally then don't skim your water. Either turn off your skimmer or over flow it so it still add o2 to your tank. If u feed your fish 3 times per day double it to 6 x. Dose amino if u haven't double the dosage recommended. Do it for a couple weeks u should see your nitrate going up.

If u want to raise nitrate naturally then don't skim your water. Either turn off your skimmer or over flow it so it still add o2 to your tank. If u feed your fish 3 times per day double it to 6 x. Dose amino if u haven't double the dosage recommended. Do it for a couple weeks u should see your nitrate going up.

Exactly... I ended up just taking cheato offline and doubling my feeding.

Going by what you're saying here I suppose dosing should be held off until I stop skimming 24/7. I've never seen nitrates in my tanks and also have never run without a skimmer.

Going by what you're saying here I suppose dosing should be held off until I stop skimming 24/7. I've never seen nitrates in my tanks and also have never run without a skimmer.
Some people dose potassium nitrate but I just feed more and stop skimming. Your fish will be happier and your tank will look better so kill 2 birds with one stone.

Some people dose potassium nitrate but I just feed more and stop skimming. Your fish will be happier and your tank will look better so kill 2 birds with one stone.

Sounds great but in my experience whenever I feed more the tank looks like a trash can, dingy and algae gets out of control. I don't feed very much now, skim 24/7 and have to clean my glass every day. I use RO with an extra resin chamber too.

Back