Zero Nitrates = Pastel Acros (dosing nitrates)

I think it's a personal choice. can't go wrong with either. just follow the instructions to the dot.

for salifert, pay attention to the last step instruction. viewing from TOP vs viewing from SIDE. big difference.. and people tend to forget that part

Hey Mike, are you dosing this stuff in dry powder form? You say 1/4 tsp is why I ask.

Yes, my KNO3 is in powder form. I put 1/4tsp and mix it with some RO/Di water and dump the whole solution in my sump.

I pour 1/4tsp of powder right into my sump. It sits on the ledge where my filter socks would normally go, and it slowly mixes in. Been doing it this way since day 1. No issues. I still dose it weekly. Some times multiple times, sometimes once. Just depends how busy I am

Would it be safe to add the KNO3 to the ATO with kalkwasser? Or there would be an adverse reaction if mixed together?

There would most likely be some chemistry issues, also the amount of nitrates you'd need to dose can vary pretty dramatically from day to day so it's not the best plan. imo nitrates on an autodoser or ATO is a recipe for disaster.

I pour 1/4tsp of powder right into my sump. It sits on the ledge where my filter socks would normally go, and it slowly mixes in. Been doing it this way since day 1. No issues. I still dose it weekly. Some times multiple times, sometimes once. Just depends how busy I am

This is what i was looking for.. the lazy way :thumbsup:

OK, I just bought some. My tank is almost a year old, mainly SPS with crap coloration.

Crap coloration as in pale or actual poop color? I think dosing nitrates will not help brown corals, but it will help if your corals are pale. Only way to tell for sure is to test for nitrates.

Skimmer is pulling out really dark green/black gunk now tho....oppose to before it was green but more of a clear liquid....

I should be receiving my KNO3 from NilocG Aquatics today.

I took my skimmer off line a month or so back in hopes of getting some nitrates in my 90 gallon DT. The tanks been running for about 2 years.

Should I resume skimming now or wait?

I stripped my water with NoPox and lost many SPS due to have 0.0 nitrate in the tank. Adding tons of food just increased my phosphates but not nitrates. Just ordered KNO3. Hoping this will help.

Great thread!
I did the same with N0P0x and am going to start dosing tech grade sodium nitrate. Does anyone know what the mixing rate for that would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great thread!
I did the same with N0P0x and am going to start dosing tech grade sodium nitrate. Does anyone know what the mixing rate for that would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^^^^

This is a very interesting thread.

Great thread!

As a rough estimate, I put 5oz of reagent KNO3 into a 1L bottle then filled it with RO. It's around 1.5ppm increase for every 9ml in my 90 gallon... I don't remember exactly but it's easy to find if you dose 3ml, wait 20 minutes, and then test to see the change.

Back