Zero Nitrates

Definitely looking forward to gaining some knowledge, thats for sure. I've learned more than I ever thought was necessary to run even a small tank like mine! It is addicting, thats for sure! I can definitely see myself looking at certain pieces of furniture trying to convince myself that its not a necessity. I can hear my wife bringing me back to reality....no honey, you can't get rid of the couch so you can have a reef tank...

LOL we had to find a house that had room for our dream tank so I understand fully. There are worse things to be addicted to in this world.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10616398#post10616398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by essop3
Matt and Ron are bare bottom/sps guys.
Hey I can bare my bottom with the best of them. ;)
With zoas and rics no less.
I do like a Barebottom
Amy slaps Matt with a trout for that one. Remember the DSB "debate" we had with Curt years ago. :lol:

Boca welcome to a wonderful, addictive hobby. You should have seen the furniture relocation when I planned on a 6 ft tank and ended up with one that's 7 ft.

Amy yes I do. If my memory serves me correctly I believe Curt had his fair share of Wild Turkey during much of that debate.

Amy is definitely a bare bottom gal.

Hey boca, I'm sitting at the airport getting ready to leave your wonderful state after only 5 SHORT days. Seeing some of these fish and animals in their natural state renues my excitement for keeping a small piece of this wonderful ocean in my home along with a renewed respect for the ocean as a whole. I'm leaving PCB and can't wait to return next year. Owning a LFS, it was hard to get the dollar signs off the sides of the fish and inverts as I swam by:D

Oh and for the record.......there was sand ALL OVER the bottom of the ocean here, I prefer it shallow in my tanks though.:cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10627890#post10627890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firefish2020
LOL Ahhhh the good ol days.
Weren't they though.
I read that thread last night and Curt was definitely well armed with Wild Turkey while preaching the glories of a DSB to the wrong two people :lol: fun thread.
Owning a LFS, it was hard to get the dollar signs off the sides of the fish and inverts as I swam by
Remember that huge undulated trigger you had years ago? We went to a seafood shop in NC and they had one that size impaled by a knife on the wall. I stopped dead and said OMG that's a $150.00 fish :eek2:

I read that thread last night and Curt was definitely well armed with Wild Turkey while preaching the glories of a DSB to the wrong two people fun thread.
I went back and reread that thread. It's always fun to look back and see if and how philosophies/thought processes have changed. I don't think mine have much over the last few years. I'm not sure if that's a good thing??

Unfortunately we have lost a couple of people that participated in that thread. Curtis always kept things lively and fun.

Here is the aforementioned thread if anyone is interested.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...=471648&perpage=25&highlight=dsb&pagenumber=1

One thing I was just thinking about is how much peoples thought processes have changed since then regarding water flow. I think a lot of people thought I was crazy for running as much flow as I did in the tank. (2 streams, ~1000gph from the return and a wavebox on a 90). I thought it was a bit excessive at the time. I would say the contrary now. :D

That was just a few short years ago and tunze was really the only 'propeller' type powerhead available. Seios might have been but they would have been pretty new to the market. Its good to see that more and more people have realized that water flow plays a key role in the home aquarium. Now we have so many great options in the water flow department available! Kind of makes you wonder what will be the next big improvement?

Undergravel filters and XDSBs (Extreme Deep Sand Beds) will come back into popularity in the next year or so :)

Seriously though,
Yep I was sold on water flow after I saw Bruces 6100 and then saw the growth that started after he put in another 6100. That and all the discursions I had with Sonya and Lisa made me see just how important flow really was. I have to admit though I too thought you were nuts with the wavebox on a 4 foot tank but what can I say I now run the wavebox and 2 6100s on my 120 (4ft) LOL. I could be wrong but I think the next big change will be in lighting and not just LEDs though that may be the primary technology that allows it. I think it will have to do with the ability and technology to provide an exact frequency of light either visible/non or both at once to emulate the exact solar spectrum.

Back