Zoanthid Eating Nudibranchs. Give them to me!

Biotopes

Aloha!

After reading tektite's experiments with AEF's, I was inspired to do something similar. Some of my favorite corals are zoanthids, so I was wondering if any of you have zoa's infested with nudibranch's? :eek2:

I would love to be able to try and study past their adult life, and figure out how to actually eradicate the eggs with some sort of dip/solution etc

So does anyone have any infested zoa's they'd be willing to ship to me, so I could experiment and try to kill the eggs? :D

I'd really appreciate it! Mahalo nui loa! :beer:

I don't know, as far as I know it's not! It's illegal to harvest coral from Hawaii though, but that's not what I'm trying to do.

When I visited Hawaii, I remember having to pass through an agricultural inspection station that was all about NOT allowing any foreign plants or animals of any kind into the state. I just can't imagine them allowing a foreign marine animal like that into the state without a permit at least. I don't know if Hawaii has any issues with alien marine species now, but the state's history of alien land plants & animals devestating many local ecosystems is well known. After the example of alien marine species in the Caribbean Sea, they are probably on red alert. I would speak to the appropriate state authorities before proceeding. Hawaii's marine environment is spectacular & I sure hope it remains that way.

Mahalo to you too Biotopes!

When diving off of your beautiful coast (with Jacks Diving Lockerif I remember correctly) I was so entranced with the fish, turtles etc. I didn't study the coral life as closely as I should have (but wasn't a reef keeper at the time).

So I was wondering if you have zoas way out there in the middle of the Pacific? If so they undoubtably have some native parasites of their own. It's great that people in this hobby have the curiosity to attempt solving some problems like this. Mahalo.

Mahalo to you too Biotopes!

When diving off of your beautiful coast (with Jacks Diving Lockerif I remember correctly) I was so entranced with the fish, turtles etc. I didn't study the coral life as closely as I should have (but wasn't a reef keeper at the time).

So I was wondering if you have zoas way out there in the middle of the Pacific? If so they undoubtably have some native parasites of their own. It's great that people in this hobby have the curiosity to attempt solving some problems like this. Mahalo.

Yes, as far as I know they aren't too popular, but there are zoa's with the named "Hawaiian Zoa's" many times they are just unique zoa's that are sold along with the word Hawaiian, but others do come from the reefs here! I love new things, I've caused a lot of arguments by talking about them, but I'll keep doing it if it's for the better of our animals! :D Mahalo nui loa, ipo lei momi! :beer:

off topic, but is that twin spot blenny in your avatar?

Just saw your post, otherwise I would have included it in the one responding to Reef Frog, but anyways! I'm not 100% sure, I found it on google and liked it, so I used the picture haha Let me see if I can ID it :)

Hawaii will not let almost any non-native species in to maintain their ecosystems even dogs are quarantined, they dont want any more pig outbreaks, mongooses or chickens if you have visited some of teh islands. They would likely fine everyone involved and at the very least seize the package despite your good intentions. Hawaiian airlines took my fish last year I was flying home with despite most airlines allowing them to be checked below. It is tough get things in there and out of there but may protect their islands for the future hopefully

Back