zoanthid poison

Mac1999

Hi I just bought some eagle eye zoanthid and found out that their poison was deadly any tips about them And taking care of them. Are they very dangerous, if I get water in my mouth while siphoning is that bad, if I have a cut on my arm should I put my hand in the tank

to be honest I have always worn gloves with them and only time i had an issue was when I did not wear them and got some mucous on my hand iver a torn hangnail. Since then gloves are always on if I am working near them or in tank.

I'm honestly of the opinion that you shouldn't put skin with an open wound in the tank "period", zoas or no zoas.

Hi I just bought some eagle eye zoanthid and found out that their poison was deadly any tips about them And taking care of them. Are they very dangerous, if I get water in my mouth while siphoning is that bad, if I have a cut on my arm should I put my hand in the tank

I could write for an hour on this topic. In 25 years I have never had any issues, others have. The key with any coral or tank water is protecting your mucus membrane. Open cuticles, cuts, sores, open skin, eyes and orifices should be protected with barriers. Keep pets and children away from your tank, coral and water. Always take the basic precautions of wearing goggles and reef safe gloves. Above all, please read every word and link of this thread below and share it wirh your reef buddies. Please read and scroll through every word and each link and view the pics as well. Good luck and safe reefing my friend.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063473&highlight=warning+the+dangers

Mooch

Last edited:
Just be careful, one way or the other.

FWIW though, I have kind of a twisted mentality when it comes down to these things. While they can hurt you, don't forget that your playing for keeps driving to the LFS to pick these things up. People always seem to take this for granted IMO. I'm not trying to hurt them and they haven't hurt me, yet... I use my bare hands all the time... GL.

There's nothing to fear or to be afraid of. Basic precautionary measures and you'll be fine.

In my line of work I cut my hands all the time. And then I go home and stick my hands in the tank.I've handled just about every kind of coral going.I DO NOT put my hands near my mouth or eyes while doing this.I always rinse my hands after bc the salt dries my skin out. Been dong this for years and never have I had any issues.

In my line of work I cut my hands all the time. And then I go home and stick my hands in the tank.I always rinse my hands after bc the salt dries my skin out. Been dong this for years and never have I had any issues.

All it takes in one time man.

Not to say I don't do the same, but it isn't safe.

Guys, in all seriousness, please be careful. At least read the entire link above and view all the stories and pics. Some of which are just too gruesome to post openly. In the link below you'll find a friend of mind who went through pure hell after dropping his guard for only a second.

http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858696

Better safe, .........than sorry.

Mooch

OP: Mooch and others on the thread are correct. In particular, it's really not smart to start a siphon with your mouth on any aquarium, salt or fresh. All you have to do to start a siphon is feed a couple of feet of the hose into the aquarium, double the tube over to block it off at the tank edge, pull a foot of it out of the tank, and let go - instant siphon, no possibility of swallowing (or worse, aspirating) saltwater.

With respect to palytoxin, it is most dangerous when aerosalized. That means never scrubbing rocks from a tank that has zoas/palys in it, and never, ever, ever boiling rocks from any salt tank in an effort to sterilize them to remove a pest. There have been some verified reports of poisoning from folks handling zoas with open cuts as well, though this is less common.

Don't frag with open cuts or wounds if so use gloves.

Eye protection aka safety goggles/sunglasses ect never hurts when Cutting Zoas just incase it squirted in your eye. But otherwise it's not much of a worry.

I have no idea why people would ever boil thing from their thank... That logic is beyond me. Aside from that use common sense and you will be fine :)

I have no idea why people would ever boil thing from their thank... That logic is beyond me. Aside from that use common sense and you will be fine :)

I mention it simply because there have been several instances of this (one of which was described on RC). And really unfortunately, somewhere along the line, bleaching and/or acid-washing rock was labeled "cooking". It's a euphemism, of course, that has nothing to do with heat, but a few folks have interpreted it literally, and it's really dangerous.

Fair enough!

If you want to kill something. Take it out and let it dry out. Dumping some h2o2 on it doesn't hurt either :)

I used to start a siphon with my mouth, until I got pink eye. I doubt they were at all related but it scared me enough to quit. Dkeller is right that you can hold some extra tube under the water, or get one of the cheapo gravel vacs with a bulb on it that you squeeze. Besides palytoxin there's all kinds of bad bacteria in there. I saw a news clip about a girl that nearly lost her arm from a mycobacterium infection. I can't even imagine what that would do to your mouth/face. But palytoxin is no joke either, one guy even let the rock dry out and when he disturbed it the dust got in the air. It killed his dog :(

Boiling rocks isn't uncommon in freshwater, I suppose people figure it is ok for salt too.

All of this information and these stories are in the link above with pics and vids. Read it and share....boom !!!!

I used to start a siphon with my mouth, until I got pink eye. I doubt they were at all related but it scared me enough to quit. Dkeller is right that you can hold some extra tube under the water, or get one of the cheapo gravel vacs with a bulb on it that you squeeze. Besides palytoxin there's all kinds of bad bacteria in there. I saw a news clip about a girl that nearly lost her arm from a mycobacterium infection. I can't even imagine what that would do to your mouth/face. But palytoxin is no joke either, one guy even let the rock dry out and when he disturbed it the dust got in the air. It killed his dog :(

Boiling rocks isn't uncommon in freshwater, I suppose people figure it is ok for salt too.

I stopped starting siphons with my mouth after ingesting a mouthful of kerosine and having to take a trip to the ED.

I stopped starting siphons with my mouth after ingesting a mouthful of kerosine and having to take a trip to the ED.

Hehe
I only know one other guy that ever admitted to siphoning kerosine. I highly doubt your circumstance were similar.

Back