zoas at 76 degrees???

jcatblum

Just wondering if anyone keeps their zoas at 76 or something close to that? I have a nano with a catalina, and he can't do warm temps, so how will zoos fair in this tank? Just wondering if anyone had any experience...

christina,

I still need some batteries for my temp meter but you may be able to pull off some zoas at that temp. I assume that most tanks range from 75-83 deg F on a regular basis so haveing a 76 deg tank may not be a stretch for zoa.

Now if you are asking if this would be an ideal temp I would probably say no, but this would be without experience.

Why not set the cooler temp zoa standard and try it out yourself. Get a small colony and report back to the rest of us. Those catalina gobies sure are nice.

CatalinaWMGo1P660X_med.jpg

My frag tank went without a heater longer than it should have and my zoas opend like they normally do in temps down to 68 degrees. After that, they werent too happy. I of course rectified the problem quickly but for about 2-3 days they lived at that. I dont know how much longer they could have taken but they seemed fine.

well, I just added 5 small colonies yesterday, and all but one are opened (after 2 days in the mail). I was just seeing if there had been any others who have been sucessful in doing this. From the info that I have been able to find they reproduce better at 80 degrees. The tank has 130 w of pc and it is only a 10 gal, so I am hoping the lights are enough encouragement for them to grow........ Right now I only have 65 w of light turned on...I am going to gradually turn the other light on, and see how things go.

I have a pico office tank (.75-1g cube) that is ambient temperature. Lighting is 2x 7w PC 6700k, and I have never taken the temperature in the tank, but it can't be more than 76 degrees. (I will take my temp probe into work tomorrow and edit this post to add the temp).

I have had a small 6 polyp zoa frag in there since the begining (10/2005). It is doing 'fine', that is it is always open, looking good. It just hasnt grown yet, and it is mostly brown with a small green center, not at all like the mother colony in my 6g nano cube. I ran the pico with just 7w of PC until a few weeks ago when I bought a second lamp. The zoas are slightly larger now, a bit more green in the middle, and I hope they decide to multiply soon.

Based on my observations, light is more of a factor than temp.

Back