1" vs 1.5" drain on external Bean Animal overflow

Jimbo327

Is there a difference between the 1.5" drain vs 1.0" drain on Bean Animal external overflow? Some claim that 1" runs quieter. But I assume that 1" probably needs slower flow.

Let's say you have a 200 gal tank with external overflow box (Modular Marine) set up with Bean Animal, would you go 1.5" drain or 1.0" drain? Or they are both quiet, so go with the 1.5" drain because bigger is better? Thanks.

I use 1 1/2" on my 90g and it's quiet. It really depends on how much flow you're pushing through? I think if you're going 800gph out before, then 1" is fine, but if you're going for more flow, then I would use 1 1/2". Regardless, a gate valve is mandatory on the primary drain, don't use ball valves, they don't offer precision tuning. Also finding the right height of the stand pipes (inside the ext box) for the primary and secondary drains is the other major factor in silencing the drains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I echo this. I was using a Fluval SP4 and 1 inch drains (tank has 1.5 inch bulkheads and sump had 1 inch bulkheads). I upgraded to a Fluval SP6 and I immediately needed to redo my drain pipes because it was way too noisy, the overflow pipe had too much water running through it. I run a bean animal overflow/drain.

I use 1 1/2" on my 90g and it's quiet. It really depends on how much flow you're pushing through? I think if you're going 800gph out before, then 1" is fine, but if you're going for more flow, then I would use 1 1/2". Regardless, a gate valve is mandatory on the primary drain, don't use ball valves, they don't offer precision tuning. Also finding the right height of the stand pipes (inside the ext box) for the primary and secondary drains is the other major factor in silencing the drains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here...on my 200g tank, i have 2 drain lines. Main drain is 1.5" with a gate valve for full siphon and second drain is a 1" emergency. Dead silence in the Sardine Can.

I went 3 x 1" on my 205g, I'll let you know how it goes once I set it up.

I based it off my 180g, that had 3 x 1.5" drains. I don't run a ton of flow through my sump so my gate valve was practically closed on that system driven by an m1 at 60% intensity. If you go with 1.5" on a MM overflow be sure to come up with a nice and secure way to support the drains. In my opinion that is a lot of leverage and weight on an external overflow so supports are a must. I had a hard time keeping my MM from leaking and I feel it was due to those large pipes. I felt like it was a total pain in the arse to work with and why I went 1" on the new system.

I have also another question. How come I only see people use 2 returns (one of each corner) on these big 72" tanks? Why don't people do like 4 returns (one in each corner, and then another 2 like closer to the MM overflow box)? I would think that will give more flow across the whole top.

I have also another question. How come I only see people use 2 returns (one of each corner) on these big 72" tanks? Why don't people do like 4 returns (one in each corner, and then another 2 like closer to the MM overflow box)? I would think that will give more flow across the whole top.

I added two to my tank just for that reason.

Do you have photo? And how did you plumb it?

I will try and get a photo, just tight location. I just used tee's in the like and instead of the original two I use the two tees in the line and made 4.

It may take me while to get photo, will try today. Im running a 1600 gph pump on a 100 gallon tank. It's an acrylic tank and I just drilled the two extra returns into the euro bracing.

Hi, I have a return at each corner on a 72x24x24. I don't count on the return for flow, but use wave pumps (Octopulse x 4). I don't think you need to count on returns for flow since we have so many wave pump options. I also have 1.5" returns. They can be a bit tricky to balance, but once the siphon kicks in, they are very quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back