Bean Animal plumbing help

The air either rises against the flow and leaves the top of the drain or is pushed out the bottom by sufficient flow.
Do you see this horizontal being an issue?

Attachments

• EB5EE979-69B4-4860-8D8B-D75781437EC9.jpeg
    EB5EE979-69B4-4860-8D8B-D75781437EC9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
I would not build it that way. It may be fine though.
Also
I would make the pipe coming out of the bulkhead a bit longer. That way if you have to redo it, you saw the pipe off above the old fitting and have room to glue a new fitting on.

My drains work and they flow 12 feet sideways
None of them are truly horizontal though

I would not build it that way. It may be fine though.
Also
I would make the pipe coming out of the bulkhead a bit longer. That way if you have to redo it, you saw the pipe off above the old fitting and have room to glue a new fitting on.

My drains work and they flow 12 feet sideways
None of them are truly horizontal though
You prefer this?

Attachments

• 72971AAD-422F-46A6-8A48-F46DBAFD6E36.jpeg
    72971AAD-422F-46A6-8A48-F46DBAFD6E36.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
I’ve never been happy, neither has my Wife with the noise from a Bean Animal Drain, always went back to homemade Durso, no valves in the drains. Have two Durso’s on my 120 Gallon, 1” Drains 1-1/4” Twin Durso’s I can Ramp two Simplicity 1600 all the way up, about a 3.5 Lift, and it will handle the flow. Clean Filter Socks overflowed, though and Weir was going over the top. BTW You could plug one of the Drain holes, and probably be fine with the flow. You could use reducing Couplings, to control the flow, just don’t glue them, just press fit, till you are satisfied.

I’ve never been happy, neither has my Wife with the noise from a Bean Animal Drain, always went back to homemade Durso, no valves in the drains. Have two Durso’s on my 120 Gallon, 1” Drains 1-1/4” Twin Durso’s I can Ramp two Simplicity 1600 all the way up, about a 3.5 Lift, and it will handle the flow. Clean Filter Socks overflowed, though and Weir was going over the top. BTW You could plug one of the Drain holes, and probably be fine with the flow. You could use reducing Couplings, to control the flow, just don’t glue them, just press fit, till you are satisfied.
I would venture to say that you were unhappy because something was not setup correctly. The system is for all intents is silent when setup properly and self maintaining/adjusting over a fairly broad range of flows. Speaking to effectiveness, almost every well regarded commercial tank is now sold with my overflow design (sadly, with no credit given).

FWIW - I personally run far more than that (almost 2x) through the same size plumbing. The hum of the ReeFlo pump and water flowing in the sump is far louder than the Overflow.

In the end, run whatever makes you comfortable and achieves your goals. My design came about because I was unhappy with the performance of Durso/Stockman style setups and had a flood due to an imbalance in such a “tuned” setup.

I set up the drains as they came in the kit for the 180. They work fine and silently.
One Durso in each overflow.
I have 2 1.5 inch full siphon drains on the 240 but the valves are closed a lot.
I only use standpipes and open bulkheads in the external overflow box. The overflow box restricts how much drawback I get ir the pumps are off.
I close the valves until I get a silent tiny flow down the standpipes. One standpipe is slightly taller than the other so only one has a flow in it. My box does have a cover.
Full siphon are good for high flow and Durso better for low.

I set up the drains as they came in the kit for the 180. They work fine and silently.
One Durso in each overflow.
I have 2 1.5 inch full siphon drains on the 240 but the valves are closed a lot.
I only use standpipes and open bulkheads in the external overflow box. The overflow box restricts how much drawback I get ir the pumps are off.
I close the valves until I get a silent tiny flow down the standpipes. One standpipe is slightly taller than the other so only one has a flow in it. My box does have a cover.
Full siphon are good for high flow and Durso better for low.
I think once you have a control valve on the drain it no longer qualifies as simply a Durso.

I think once you have a control valve on the drain it no longer qualifies as simply a Durso.
I did lots of things on the 180 I never tried before. The drains go sideways 15 feet almost but not completely horizontal. I made sure with a level.
They are lowest right under the tank and slowly rise toward the sump area where drains empty. There is very little head compared to what people usually have, 10 inches if I remember right
I combined the 2 drains on the tank into one larger pipe under the tank.
There is a 1.5 inch ball valve on the drain I can close to open the union but I do not use it to control the drains. The Durso drains, weir and pump size do that. The 180 has 2 1 inch drains combining into a 1.5 inch pipe back to the fish room. This drain always has air in it.

The 240 has 2 1.5 inch drains with valves and 2 without that go straight down behind the tank, through a wall and back up to the drain area.
I have the pipe rise above the sump tank with air vents so the air can leave the pipe at one end or the other. The water leaves through a tee sideways and travels to a pipe that is submerged slightly.

It did have bulkheads in the tank so the 4 drains could enter into the bottom but I redid that when I added the 150 gallon stock tank for the 180 addition.

Sump setup 1 for 75 and 240
The 2 drains for the 75 empty into what is the return section and approach from the left. The smaller tub on top has the 4 drains from the 240.
IMG_2052.JPG

Sump setup now
40 gallon drains to 150, 150 has 2 2 inch drains into 100.

IMG_4343.JPG

This picture shows the 5 standpipes. The head on this system is the difference between the water lever in the tank and the height of the tee.
It's not much.

IMG_4358.JPG

before skimmer upgrade and second surfer reactor

IMG_4399.JPG

How to connect 2 non parallel surfaces through any angle. Takes a little planning to drill the holes in the right places based on the radius the length of the connecting pipes. The holes have to be offset this radius. The bulkheads sit without force on them and don't leak.
Since the 100 and 150 stock tanks are only 4 inches different in height in a shutdown both can catch drain back. The 240 and 75 filled the old single 100 gallon stock tank to within 1 inch of the top.
IMG_4359.JPG

Accomplished with WV TLAR engineering. That Looks About Right.

Last edited:
My names is Francis

View attachment 32387577

Sorry it bothers you. I made it myself.
A little bothered. a little. very little
Well, Francis I just assumed you were a Ned... but alas we have been told about assumption.

That above stand looks like it would hold an Abrams

The below does not
1688406593905.png

So I will give you a pass in the TLAR and the scary stand - Pepperoni Buns were invented in West Virginia (country club bakery, Fairmont) and that proves something.

I never imagined you had so much going on behind the scenes. I envy the space and ability to setup what you need AND be able to work on it comfortably.

Well, Francis I just assumed you were a Ned... but alas we have been told about assumption.

That above stand looks like it would hold an Abrams

The below does not
View attachment 32387578

So I will give you a pass in the TLAR and the scary stand - Pepperoni Buns were invented in West Virginia (country club bakery, Fairmont) and that proves something.

I never imagined you had so much going on behind the scenes. I envy the space and ability to setup what you need AND be able to work on it comfortably.

That's a 29 gallon tank in the fish room. Not a 55. It got an emergency extension when the 20H on it got broke by me.
it is no longer in service.
Pepperoni rolls, not buns. Ask for pepperoni buns here and you get the stink eye.

I was born prematurely in 1960. Way different than now. My mom had the book she wrote my weight in every day in the cedar chest. It says Ned by that weight. Everyone in the family called me Ned. I was taught to write Ned By Mom.

I went to kindergarten and the first day we wrote our names. I wrote NED. The teacher told me that was wrong. This evolved into a meltdown where Mom had to come get me from the evil teacher.
Then I learned my real name is Francis. No one calls me that or even knows it's my name.

My parents were very traditional. I had a Sicilian grandfather and a German one. Both spoke in their native tongues . One was a Shoemaker and the other a baker. A Catholic and a Lutheran. They named me after them and then couldn't call me either name without making the other mad. As near as I can tell they pulled Ned out of thin air and called me that to keep the peace.

I was recycling. The wood was the packing from the 240 pallet shipping.

I have never heard anyone say pepperoni buns before

That's a 29 gallon tank in the fish room. Not a 55. It got an emergency extension when the 20H on it got broke by me.
it is no longer in service.
Pepperoni rolls, not buns. Ask for pepperoni buns here and you get the stink eye.

Yes - Rolls not Buns... oddly, I would never speak the world "Roll" and no idea why I typed it. I grew up eating them and still do whenever possible. 2 dozen only last a day here, two if I pace myself!

Father from fairmont, grandfather a dentist and lifelong town fixture. They will ship them now ($65 for 3 dozen shipped)... spendy but worth it and saves me the drive (no family in fairmont anymore). When we visit other family in Buckhannon, I like to drop in and stock up.

Honestly - on my list of top 10 best things in the world. I make them at home and they are amazing, but still not the same as CC Bakery.

Both sound brilliant to me.
I know it is expensive - but I promise, worth it.

They have little to no preservatives, so eat them day 1.

10-15 seconds in the microwave.. warmish hot... you will become addicted as if the secret ingredient were crack.

You can get other brands and even most WV convenience stores have them in one form or another, but NONE OF THEM come close to the original. Mind you - this is not a Pat's vs Geno's cheesesteak thing (both suck btw).... there is just something magic about the originals ;)

Back