10 gallon tank with CPR HOB fuge

alfred14

My HOB is a little to big. My wife says it looks bad. I need advice on making my aquarium more presentable as well as how to better plum everything.

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with a HOB Refugium from Craig's list. Looks like a cpr fuge with the skimmer. It's has a pump with it that has a needle wheel and hoses to increases O2 flow. Pics will go up tomorrow morning hopefully.
My two main things are better return plumbing and ways to cover up the current visual negativities (HOB is bigger than the aquarium)
Thank you for yalls help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For visuals, you can buy pieces of acrylic off Amazon and cut to fit.

Just make sure you get an adhesive designed for acrylic.

a2c859ccceab458e170df487cb418aa0.jpg
35846cbf8a8a1c969e7b0e8e9e383484.jpg
ab0365c66abe99e0593249ecef1f8505.jpg
b0f76655f73772ddd18087ee8c202b98.jpg

The last picture of the return flow is my main problem. I need a better system but need to findout where I can get pipe that fits.
I also need to find a lower power pinwheel pump for the skimmer.

If a sump is out of the question, you could consider an all in one tank. An option that would be cheep and effective with your current set up would be painting the front of the acrylic black to match the tank back glass.

I actually started out with a 10 gal not knowing at the time that was pretty difficult to pull of for reef tanks.. I ended up needing a skimmer of course. So I custom designing and 3D printing a HOB skimmer that really fit the whole setup well. That was way too much effort for what it was worth, but it was cool to get it working. Anyways, could you rearrange things and put a refuge/sump underneath a cabinet stand somehow?

Due to the BOSS (wife), I am currently only allowed that ten gallons on that book shelf. Trying to think of ways to hide or make more aesthetic the HOB Refugium. I think it will work great as a one to two fish setup with some easy corals. Would like to use it as a quarantine tank in 1-2 years. It holds around 3 gallons I believe.
I just added a baffle to cut back on backflow during power outages. Was having to run it at almost three inches below the rim.
My next step is some cleaners.

Current idea is two clowns with some cleaner crew. Then add corals only easy stuff.

Just ditch the HOB fuge..
It is 100% optional just like a skimmer..
A 10G tank can easily be managed by small water changes alone and only have a powerhead in the tank for circulation and not need anything else..

Right but my thought is an add 30% water volume decreases the need for water changes. I need low maintenance. I will probably only work on it 2-3 days a month max. And for ten to fifteen minutes.

I wanted a 90 plus gallon tank so I could have 4-5 small fish with some corals. Would like to be on the berry low level when it comes to stocking making water changes minimal to none.

Back